The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Would You Travel at 760 mph ?

@Fossil if you haven’t yet seen it , worth watching is this famous 2006 documentary “Who Killed The Electric Car ?” - this is not one of my conspiracy rants, but a rather alarming expose of what has set us back 20 years. Trailer here: (you can get this on DVD for about £2 now)

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 28 Aug 12:33
Wakefield, West Yorks.

@Grey-Wolf wrote:

and all we get are naysayers and moaning Minnies

I’m having a good laugh at this one. About the general concept of introducing change rather than at any individual.

I’ve spent a lifetime introducing change and a good deal of that being resisted, blocked, obstructed……..before eventually I deliver the change. I can’t tell you how many times folk have resisted a new system because “what they have now is the best ever”………only a few years after its introduction to moan about the next version because “what they have now is the best ever”

Human beings don’t like change, its makes them uncomfortable and thus the majority resist that change. At the same time, innovators are often dreamers and the most successful are often paired with someone who is practical, street wise and realistic. Its often the latter that actually get the thing delivered.

In a world of austerity, vested interests and natural resistance to change, change often happens slower than it could…..that’s not always a bad thing.

Essex UK

Here’s another one

Grey-Wolf wrote:

Rolling luggage was invented by one David Dudley Bloom , an American business man born of Lithuanian parents, Bloom’s highly innovative mind included the introduction of the cassette player and the milk bottle for dolls. In 1958, suffering from back problems while travelling, Bloom proposed the creation of luggage on wheels, roundly scoffed at by his employer, the Chairman of the Atlantic Corporation of Pennsylvania with “Who’d want to buy luggage on wheels ?”

Bloom persevered, resulting in mass commercial success for both the invention and the company who now calls itself the Atlantic Luggage Corporation of Pennsylvania. Bloom died in 2015 aged 93.

(Should I not mention anyone’s name?)

Grey-Wolf wrote:

…and now along comes the Hyperloop and all we get are naysayers and moaning Minnies. Makes you think if all those years ago whether some of those Stone Age Silver Elders started clubbing the wheel to smithereens, believing it to be unfeasible…

I am not aware of any ‘Naysayers’ or ‘Moaning Minnies’ @Grey-Wolf however people are entitled to their opinion.
What I said was Fossil wrote:

I can’t see it happening in our life time or that of our children’s.

I still believe that governments will spend spare money on domestic needs of which there are many. Bearing in mind they haven’t yet got in production an electric car battery that will take a car even half the distance of a conventional tank full, an electric grid system that would be capable of charging electric cars if everyone had one and an electric car that is within the price range of the average person Hyperloop I would suggest is several generations away. As you said, lets wait and see.

London

@Endy well what gets my own goat is the unparalleled propensity for human disinvention. My own City of Wakefield at one time had an unequalled tram system, until some wise old City Elder no doubt proclaimed , “Trams ?!! No we don’t want any more of those, thank you. Can’t be having that.” The Merrie Citie is now tramless, while they thrive in Manchester.

Back in the 19th century Royal Navy High Command dismissed the idea of the submarine as a " damn silly trifling idea that will never catch on."

We’ve had the battery powered electric car since the year dot, until George Bush Junior issued lawsuits against General Motors etc. forbidding them to make any more for fear of upsetting his oil baron buddy syndicate.

The sad story of Mr. Tesla is a tale in itself as to what happens to genuine innovators.

…and now along comes the Hyperloop and all we get are naysayers and moaning Minnies. Makes you think if all those years ago whether some of those Stone Age Silver Elders started clubbing the wheel to smithereens, believing it to be unfeasible…

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Grey-Wolf wrote:

Time will tell

It will indeed

And as you say Grey Wolf, it will only take a select few to wake up one morning and say, “Ho Hum, Time to move into the 21st Century”; somewhat like when those colossal great steam trains were invented and the world was divided in opinion; or when the early motor cars set forth down the road with flag-carriers walking ahead to give warning!
Exciting times!

@Fossil Time will tell.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

In fairness @Grey-Wolf it will cost billions not millions and if all they have raised from 5 countries, 2 of which have immense wealth, is £295 Million in 4 years I can’t see it happening in our life time or that of our children’s.

London

@Fossil well USA & China are already (financially) on board coupled with UK, France, Czech Republic. It only takes the prospecting Saudi Arabia to step in, which they undoubtedly will, as we approach an oil-less future and they could fund it with loose pocket change as masters of the new transport dynasty.

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 27 Aug 15:03
Wakefield, West Yorks.

I’d give it a go – though not from San Francisco to LA as that’s a beautiful drive along Big Sur. But a boring route through Arizona would be fun.

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message