Welcome to our forums.

When to take out travel insurance?

Contrary to the advice of Toptraveller it is sometimes most advantageous to stay with the same insurance company especially if you are a member of one of the retired government officers associations, ex police, ex NHS etc.

Firstly I did not advise not to stay with the same company, I said that many companies offered an advantageous introductory rate that did not necessarily follow through the for the second year. The advice was not to assume that staying with the same company was the best thing to do. Hopping from one company to another each year to take advantage of the best rates works for travel insurance just as well as it works for car insurance.

Secondly as an ex-member of a civil service insurance scheme I know that their insurance companies do not always continue to offer the most competitive rates to retired members. Again my advice was not to assume and to check with the comparison sites to ensure that you were getting the best rates.

The best advice is always not to assume that because you got the best rate last year you will get the best rate the following year or that because you are an ex police officer, civil servant, medical practitioner or other, that you will continue to get the best rates. You may, or you may not, but it is always worth checking with the comparison sites.

Contrary to the advice of Toptraveller it is sometimes most advantageous to stay with the same insurance company especially if you are a member of one of the retired government officers associations, ex police, ex NHS etc. I have been with my company for some time now and the rates are shall we say more than competitive. It horses for courses and ALL options need to be explored as of course premiums vary with different medications and previous history.

London

“I think it is wrong to recommend a specific insurer without knowing the requirements of the person to be insured. I got a quote from Staysure and it was more than double what we are paying.”

As I read it, Jo; wasn’t actually recommending Staysure, just stating how pleased she is with their service – that’s totally different!"

Absolutely – all I was saying was I found them helpful and efficient. It goes without saying that everyone needs to work out what’s right for him/her.

Thanks to all for your comments, I am comparing quotes at the moment, so we will see!!

As I read it, Jo; wasn’t actually recommending Staysure, just stating how pleased she is with their service – that’s totally different!

Well that’s not how I read it.

Of course you could be right and that what Jo was saying was that she could not speak highly enough of them but was not recommending them. However, that does seem a little incongruous doesn’t it?

Comparing like for like that company quoted over £150 more than I am paying so I certainly wouldn’t speak highly of them, let alone recommend them.

The point is that people want the best premium for their personal circumstances. The comparison sites offer a very quick way of getting quotes from numerous companies since you input your details only once and they immediately throw up quotes and levels of cover from very many insurers. They save a huge amount of time and effort and you know you are getting the deal that’s best for you.

“I think it is wrong to recommend a specific insurer without knowing the requirements of the person to be insured. I got a quote from Staysure and it was more than double what we are paying.”

As I read it, Jo; wasn’t actually recommending Staysure, just stating how pleased she is with their service – that’s totally different!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

And I also can’t speak highly enough about Staysure

I think it is wrong to recommend a specific insurer without knowing the requirements of the person to be insured. I got a quote from Staysure and it was more than double what we are paying.

The best bet is to use the price comparison sites. Some companies are not on them but I have never found such companies competitive to those that are.

One tip, however, is not to renew with the same company. They will usually give you a great introductory rate for the first year and hope you will automatically renew for the second year without noticing they have hiked the price. It’s best to go back to the price comparison sites each year.

I wouldn’t be without my annual policy – it means I only have to think about insurance once a year and can set off at any other time knowing I’m covered.

And I also can’t speak highly enough about Staysure – I manage to delete my policy, and couldn’t remember the renewal date. They were hugely helpful, didn’t treat me like a forgetful old codger, and – when I dropped in a comment about going to Nepal – checked out the foreign office website for me and assured me I’ll be covered while I’m there.

Good morning Audreydoc and thank you for your question.
The simple answer is yes, you should have insurance not only for cancellation purposes but also in case anything happens whilst overseas which necessitates medical attention. Whether you take out single or annual insurance depends on how many times you travel. Read what each company will cover you for and remember that the cheapest is not always the best. Comparison websites are a good start as many travel agents will only recommend one insurance company as I know from experience. Whilst comparison sites will not list all companies they will however list the main ones. One of the things to look for is to see if they cover pre-existing conditions. Many don’t and in some cases could mean that you are covered for very little medically. If going on a cruise make sure they cover medical evacuation.

London

Most single trip policies are active from the date they are taken out so the advice as always is to take out insurance when you book a trip, as you are covered from that time. Naturally you should check out the Ts & Cs to make sure the cover meets your requirements.

Of course if you are travelling twice a year or more then an annual policy can save money but the point I made is that it is not necessary to take out an annual policy in order to cover cancellation prior to departure, a single trip policy will do that – just read the Ts & Cs.

Another point is that travel insurance, like all insurance products, is a regulated product as defined by various Acts of Parliament. Advice should be given only by those qualified to do so. For example travel agents who sell travel insurance are required to undergo training and are tested on their knowledge and advice. They are not allowed to sell insurance unless they are suitably qualified.

So, if you want advice on the details of travel insurance then, as with any other financial product or service, you should seek suitably qualified advisors.

21 Posts
Sign in to add your message