Welcome to our forums.

What's your opinion?

I think we should try to find out how many criminals actually bothered to vote BEFORE they were convicted? I would bet it is precious few - so we are not actually taking away any rights which they regarded as important anyway.

Last Edited by unknown at 24 Dec 11:00
Well here’s mine then Fossil…
-—————————————————-
If this has to be an all or nothing situation then I don’t think prisoners should have the vote.

They have been removed, temporarily, from democratic society because of their actions and part of the punitive element of prison is to divorce the prisoner from normal society – having the right to vote is part of normal society, and is one of the things I think prisoners should forfeit.

The next step presumeably is a campaign claiming that imprisonment is an infringement of criminals’ right to liberty – God help us all……

couldn’t have said it better myself.

Essex UK

Definitely ‘NO’. There is too much pandering to ‘human rights’. What about the old fashioned idea of ‘human responsibilities’?

Last Edited by unknown at 24 Dec 10:50
ESW
Lincolnshire

Well here’s mine then Fossil…
-—————————————————-
If this has to be an all or nothing situation then I don’t think prisoners should have the vote.

They have been removed, temporarily, from democratic society because of their actions and part of the punitive element of prison is to divorce the prisoner from normal society – having the right to vote is part of normal society, and is one of the things I think prisoners should forfeit.

The next step presumeably is a campaign claiming that imprisonment is an infringement of criminals’ right to liberty – God help us all……

Bedford

I must admit to having mixed feelings on this one. I suppose one arguement would be that as it is the government who make the rules that affect their lives then they should have a right to participate in who that government is. Others will say that when they broke the law they gave up the right to participate. I will be interested to read the views of others on this one.

Last Edited by unknown at 24 Dec 10:42
London

There is to be a free vote in the House of Commons soon regarding giving prisoners the right to vote as decreed by the EU, David Cameron is sticking to his guns and will still vote no is it right that any prisoners should get the vote, my instinct is to say no vote and stop meddling with our laws.CG

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message