Welcome to our forums.

what is its like to travels alone

It was the best holiday of my life I think Coolonespa, even though I did break my ankle(!)
The flight was a disaster – I had to change planes in Frankfurt and the flight from UK was delayed so I missed the connection. I arrived in the middle of the night to find the taxi driver had waited several hours for me though, and I had no currency to tip him, and it was cold which surprised me.
When I saw the hotel my heart sank – it was in a seedy looking street in the old town, right opposite the Roman colloseum thing (I forget the name) the door was locked but a sleepy young man came and took my bags and showed me to a dingy room with a miniscule shower and loo. I was so tired I slipped in the ‘bathroom’ and twisted my ankle but dropped into bed and went to sleep, only to be woken a couple of hours later by the ‘call to prayer’ from the mosque opposite. Meals were served in the adjoining cafe, and were surprisingly delicious and the proprietor came to check I was OK and when he saw my swollen ankle he called his wife (who was Syrian) and she insisted she took me to hospital in her car. They said it was a bad sprain and strapped it up – I didn’t find out it was broked till I got home.
The place was a tip, not especially clean and I decided to leave, but the owners were so kind and arranged a trip round the city (Amman) for me to see the sights, then another trip to Petra with an English girl where I saw the sity from the back of a camel, and the to the Dead Sea where I ‘swam’ and got my strapping encrusted in salt. So I stayed and I’m so glad I did.
The Jordanians seem to like the Brits, I hobbeled up the road to change some money and a lady in the full ‘cover-up’ muslim outfit helped me across the road. Others kept coming up to me and saying ‘welcome in Jordan’ which I found quite quaint. In the evenings the proprietor of the hotel organized singing and dancing in the dining room with all ythe guests joining in. I wouldn’t have missed it for worlds.
If I can find my photos on this new laptop I’ll post some for you. In the meantime – Go For It.

Thank you for your first post @exdancer and a warm welcome to the Forum.

As @drewlin says, I’d have pressed the like button if there was one.

How did you get on in Jordan, was that recent? I’ve always fancied Jordan but can’t convince my wife to go…..perhaps I should take a leaf from your book and do it alone.

Essex UK

“I always travel alone. After 40 years married to a man who won’t even travel 15 miles to see a show I decided to take off on my own. I am now 76 and take at least one holiday abroad every year. You can be lonely especially in the evenings, but at least no-one gets tetchy when you want to look around the shops or stop and watch the birds(!). I have never spent a whole holiday alone as there’s always people to chat to, I look our for other ladies on their own (there are more of us than you think) or other English speakers – and strike up a conversation – usually we meet up in the evenings which makes eating in resturants much more pleasant.
I’ve been to Romania, Germany, France, USA, Italy, Corfu, Jordan, Tunisia, Australia and Bulgaria to name a few and intend to continue travelling untill I can no longer get insurance!”

Wish there was a like button for this. Well done!

Wigan

I always travel alone. After 40 years married to a man who won’t even travel 15 miles to see a show I decided to take off on my own. I am now 76 and take at least one holiday abroad every year. You can be lonely especially in the evenings, but at least no-one gets tetchy when you want to look around the shops or stop and watch the birds(!). I have never spent a whole holiday alone as there’s always people to chat to, I look our for other ladies on their own (there are more of us than you think) or other English speakers – and strike up a conversation – usually we meet up in the evenings which makes eating in resturants much more pleasant.
I’ve been to Romania, Germany, France, USA, Italy, Corfu, Jordan, Tunisia, Australia and Bulgaria to name a few and intend to continue travelling untill I can no longer get insurance!

I don’t think I would like a land-based holiday alone, but on a cruise, you are only alone if you choose to be. Everyone is very friendly.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

If my husband hadn’t died I doubt if it would have occurred to me to travel alone. But, given those circumstances, it is – now – a choice. And I love it!

Unlike most of the people here I didn’t choose to travel alone.

New Delhi
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message