Welcome to our forums.

what is its like to travels alone

JoCarroll wrote:

The Man in Seat 61 – it’s the best rail website I know

I’ve used this website several times for travel in mainland Europe and Scandinavia. The information he publishes is very accurate and useful.

Little did we know, he travelled north with us on the Caledonian Sleeper on Tuesday night I only found out today when his photos appeared in search results.

Scotland

@cazzar – have you come across The Man in Seat 61 – it’s the best rail website I know. I haven’t checked if it covers Latvia, but it’s work having it bookmarked as he seems to know everything.

(I’m also in my 60s, travel independently and on my own, and have just come back from Ecuador and the Galapagos. Everything is possible.)

I have just been catching up with some posts from when I was away and just wanted to say welcome @cazzar to our Silver Travel Forum – we hope that you enjoy being part of our friendly group of Silver Travellers. Please feel free to contact one of the moderators if you have any queries about using the Forum.

Essex UK

days I’m in my 60s and I plan my own trips! On retiring…within a couple of months I’d planned a trip to Singapore and Oz. I did have a few friends to meet up with OZ which was nice and I did do a bit of travelling with them but I still enjoyed my own space…. Best reasons for travelling solo is meeting other people…..doing what you want when you want….stay longer, not so long, and you don’t waste time on decision making. However, when I travelled with an old school-friend to Hong Kong/Shanghai/New Zealand/Kuala Lumpur/Singapore, etc., we didn’t sit next to each other as I felt we miss the opportunity of meeting new people… (sometimes welcome/sometimes not so welcome!?) We are both independent and have a great understanding of needing time to do our own thing so I didn’t find it a problem…47 days and not a cross word! I also travelled as a guest to India and stayed with friends here and there but did most of my travelling on my own and met the most amazing people whom I never would have met on an organised trip….and oh…what if you don’t particularly gel with your travelling companions?!

I’m now looking at train travel to Lativa, Estonia….etc., via Warsaw…. I loved Krakow, etc., so that’s my thoughts.

When Freddie Laker arrived on the scene to those of you who can remember – I hopped on one of his planes (21 day Standby, if I remember correctly?) that opened up California etc., to us mere mortals. I still have good friends in Ventura…did 6,000 miles of driving in 1979…part of Mexico….Arizona…..California……Nevada, etc….

I could go on but don’t want anyone to fall asleep! But if anyone has knowledge of the rail passes, to Latvia, etc., I’d be most interested…thank you…..

Last Edited by cazzar at 23 Jan 15:04

maybe, cat, it depends why you go on holiday, what you are looking for. i just read a review of a feltmaking course in cornwall “Aggie Arts, Cornwall – Learn a new Skill for Pleasure or Profit” ~ felting by day, staying in the nearby pub. i know it’s an old cliche, but maybe choosing a themed holiday would make it easier, as then you’d have something in common to share with other travellers?

London

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

cat wrote:
not good , it gets lonely
Hi @cat, have you tried initiating a conversation? Many people do not like being the first to speak, but once someone else takes the first step, then they are pleased to chat, in my opinion I have just returned from a 22 night cruise to Rio and was only alone when I chose to be.

Agreed – you only need to be alone if you choose to be. Travelling alone can be the best of both worlds – time to yourself to think, and then chattering to others if you feel like it.

cat wrote:

Hi @cat, have you tried initiating a conversation? Many people do not like being the first to speak, but once someone else takes the first step, then they are pleased to chat, in my opinion I have just returned from a 22 night cruise to Rio and was only alone when I chose to be.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

the4ts wrote:

I am off to Lapland myself in February and will be travelling alone going all the way up there and back by train and bus. Can’t wait for that little adventure!

I’m looking forward to hearing about your adventures when you get back and I hope you have a great time @the4ts

Essex UK

I generally travel alone too and find that as long as I have planned well in advance, it is a great experience. You will find people will generally engage with you and talk to once they realise you are on your own and even the most shy and retiring of types will not be short of company, if they want it! I am invariably “adopted” by those both younger and older than me when I travel and they seem to find me rather than the other way round.

I am off to Lapland myself in February and will be travelling alone going all the way up there and back by train and bus. Can’t wait for that little adventure!

27 Posts
Sign in to add your message