Welcome to our forums.

A lucky escape

Harold wrote:

Harold
14:33 09-Jul-19

On a cruise to Zanzibar, we defied Foreign Office advice not to travel because of the trouble brewing there. But since we had booked and would have lost our holiday, with no refund, we decided to go.
We had a lovely time and at the docks, no trouble, they just stood back and let us pass.

However, again after we returned, we heard that there was trouble, and this poor policeman had been beheaded.

Yet another lucky escape!

You can choose my lottery ticket any time!. I, too, visited Zanzibar on a cruise, but luckily no problems then.
I have noticed in the past that during the weeks and months of the run up to a booked cruise, often one of the ports of call has an ‘incident’. One time it was an uprising somewhere, another a volcano erupted; a guard/ranger was attacked by a ‘dragon’ on Komodo Island; Madagascar had an outbreak of pneumonic plague, and so on. Fortunately all those problems were resolved before my arrival!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Can we all join you – seems you have charmed holidays (though I feel for the poor people in your wake!)

On a cruise to Zanzibar, we defied Foreign Office advice not to travel because of the trouble brewing there. But since we had booked and would have lost our holiday, with no refund, we decided to go.
We had a lovely time and at the docks, no trouble, they just stood back and let us pass.

However, again after we returned, we heard that there was trouble, and this poor policeman had been beheaded.

Yet another lucky escape!

Harold wrote:

Harold
14:24 09-Jul-19

On a holiday to Crete we decided to walk a gorge from source to Samaria and down to the sea. We did it on a breakfast of Greek yogurt and orange juice. The only trouble was staying hydrated. We had bottles of water which we could refill from the wells and then from the river. We had to reach the ferry back to our hotel’s town by a certain deadline and found it very difficult, but managed it.

About a fortnight after our return home, we learned that there had been flash floods in the gorge and, sadly, a family had drowned.

We had a lucky escape!

Indeed, a very lucky escape @Harold – welcome to the Forum.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

On a holiday to Crete we decided to walk a gorge from source to Samaria and down to the sea. We did it on a breakfast of Greek yogurt and orange juice. The only trouble was staying hydrated. We had bottles of water which we could refill from the wells and then from the river. We had to reach the ferry back to our hotel’s town by a certain deadline and found it very difficult, but managed it.

About a fortnight after our return home, we learned that there had been flash floods in the gorge and, sadly, a family had drowned.

We had a lucky escape!

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message