Welcome to our forums.

Two more for 2020

Fossil wrote:

Solent_Richard wrote:

I’d be delighted to hear any thoughts on MSC cruises that members may have, particularly the benefits of their Yacht Club experience.
I experienced the Yacht Club on Splendida and have to admit that it was not for me. Yes it has its own deck area consisting of pool, bar and sun area but I felt by being there I was missing out on the many attractions this ship had to offer. It has its own dining room at the back of the ship and the cabins are nice but not a lot different from the standard balcony cabins which are excellent. If you are looking to be segregated away from the rest of the passengers, have butler service as opposed to the usual standard service then you will enjoy it. You still however have to use the same spa, entertainment venues, lounges, gym, sports facilities etc.

Good morning @Fossil

Thank you for your input which has basically confirmed that the Yacht Club is MSC’s equivalent of Cunard’s Grills and therefore will suit us ideally.

Of course having this segregated area, which also includes a ‘private’ lounge (Top Sail Lounge) where I have read in reviews some entertainment is provided, doesn’t mean one isn’t free to enter the rest of the ship and enjoy their many attractions: complete with the ability to order drinks throughout the ship using one’s complimentary Yacht Club cruise card.

I also understand that, like the Grills, there is priority embarkation, disembarkation and tender tickets. You do appear to get what you pay for.

PS. I found your review of Splendida…

https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/cruise-msc-cruises-blog/msc-cruises-splendida-mediterranean-day-1

…but it appears that on that one you were in an S3 Cabin without a balcony. Have you a review of your Yacht Club experience?

Solent_Richard wrote:

I’d be delighted to hear any thoughts on MSC cruises that members may have, particularly the benefits of their Yacht Club experience.

I experienced the Yacht Club on Splendida and have to admit that it was not for me. Yes it has its own deck area consisting of pool, bar and sun area but I felt by being there I was missing out on the many attractions this ship had to offer. It has its own dining room at the back of the ship and the cabins are nice but not a lot different from the standard balcony cabins which are excellent. If you are looking to be segregated away from the rest of the passengers, have butler service as opposed to the usual standard service then you will enjoy it. You still however have to use the same spa, entertainment venues, lounges, gym, sports facilities etc.

London

Solent_Richard wrote:

So, having checked availability with The Cruise Club we were very happy to sign up for our first cruise with MSC, in a Yacht Club suite, for a 15 night 14 island cruise onboard MSC Preziosa…

The islands visited on this cruise are:-

Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Grenada, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Martinique (twice), Guadeloupe (twice), Tortola, St Maarten, Dominica, St Kitts and Nevis, Antigua, and St Lucia.

Here is my picture of MSC Preziosa passing Lee on the Solent on her way into Southampton in 2017…

The second booking within two days was made after receipt of an excellent full colour brochure from ROL.

They were offering the one European river cruise that has evaded us over the years, the Eastern Danube between Budapest and Bucharest.

One of the great attractions of sailing along this part of the Danube (we have already sailed the Danube between Budapest and Nuremburg) is that it passes through an area known as the ‘Iron Gates’…

…an area that has fascinated me for some time.

This particular cruise is once again with a cruise line that is new to us – Emerald Waterways.

Interestingly enough we were invited to one of their presentations in the summer…

https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/forums/travel-type/7066-emerald-waterways

Having already made two cruise holiday bookings for 2020 (one River and one Ocean) my wife and I had no real plans to extend our 2020 holiday plans.

That was until between Christmas and the New Year we were bombarded with a number of brochures and advertisements for cruises in the national newspapers.

My wife has always been keen to visit one particular Caribbean Islands that have constantly evaded our many Caribbean itineraries over the years – Guadeloupe.

She is a great fan of the TV series ‘Death in the Paradise’, a detective series filmed on the island of Guadeloupe and I was well aware that only one or two cruise lines actually included a stop there.

Imagine my heightened interest when a full page advert for an 15 night MSC cruise included TWO stops at the island. We have never cruised with MSC though have done two ship visits at Southampton.

From following various cruise blogs and forums I have always been aware that certain MSC ships operate a ‘ship within a ship’ system called the ‘Yacht Club’. It is very similar to the ‘Grills’ on Cunard where separate areas are exclusively available to Yacht Club members including Dining, Suite accommodation, sun deck and pool and also butler service.

The promotion was with a cruise agent we had not used before but came highly recommended by a fellow cruise blogger who also is a fan of MSC ships.

So, having checked availability with The Cruise Club we were very happy to sign up for our first cruise with MSC, in a Yacht Club suite, for a 15 night 14 island cruise onboard MSC Preziosa…

15 Posts
Sign in to add your message