Welcome to our forums.

Viking River Cruise - Paris to Normandy

I should also have mentioned that the village of Giverny had what I consider probably the most unusual and oldest bus stop in my memory…

We were now given ‘Free Time’ to either continue to enjoy the gardens, revisit the house or, in our case, explore the delightful village of Giverny...

One could claim this was a typical French Village however, it’s connection with Monet has stamped an artistic influence on it.

Apart from the Claude Monet Foundation the main attraction of the village is the Museum of Impressionism, dedicated to the history of impressionism and its continuation in the Giverny art colony…

There are also several art galleries…

…and other hostelries associated with the artistic community…

Having completed our guided tour of Monet’s home it was then time to visit the gardens…

Again, this was a fully guided tour with a tremendous amount of information offered by our knowledgeable guide.

There are two parts to the garden, a cottage-style garden called Clos Normand in front of Monet’s house, pictures of which I have already produced.

The second part of Monet’s garden, and probably the most famous, is the water garden…

A path around the pond offers lots of great vantage points to view the famous bridge, a small Japanese-style bridge over a large pond filled with water lillies, though trying to get a photo of it without hordes of visitors on it proved somewhat frustrating.

Still, a fair trade off considering we had the house almost to ourselves.

While still in the garden I just couldn’t resist this one…

There are a lot of us about.

StanleyJ wrote:

Amazing photos! It’s as if you are indeed towering above the whole Paris. :) I am also curious about the technique you used… Maybe I should try it myself next time. By the way, there are also less known but also gorgeous places in this grand city, go there if you want less crowds and more air: https://rove.me/to/paris/

Good morning @Stanleyj and thank you for your kind comment.

All of the photographs, with the exception of the night shot of the Old Mill, were taken with a Nikon D7100 using a Sigma 10-20mm wide angle lens and camera set to Aperture Priority mode.

The night shot of the ‘Old Mill’ was taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100.

Amazing photos! It’s as if you are indeed towering above the whole Paris. :) I am also curious about the technique you used… Maybe I should try it myself next time. By the way, there are also less known but also gorgeous places in this grand city, go there if you want less crowds and more air: https://rove.me/to/paris/

The guided tour of the house was amazing and well done Viking for the slick operation, getting us there ahead of the crowds.

As a result we were able to have a most beneficial look around the Monet Foundation property and his famous garden, including the studio…

…and as it was in Monet’s day…

One of his works…

…and other rooms…

…and again, as it was in his day…

Other rooms were equally interesting…

While on the upper floor the garden view was also worthwhile…

Next up: a walk around the garden.

Overnight we left Paris and sailed to the town of Vernon.

This town provides easy access for the main excursion of the day, a visit to the village of Giverney and the home of the artist Claude Monet…

Monet’s house and famous garden are situated just a short 10 minute drive from Vernon in the village of Giverny…

This was the destination for a Viking complimentary excursion which included a guided tour of the house and gardens.

As the map indicates, this cruise started and finished in Paris…

For the first two days Viking had arranged excursions to various Paris sites. My wife and I have visited Paris on many occasions, indeed, while serving with the Royal Navy my wife was appointed to the Naval Attache’s office for two years in the British Embassy in Paris. We therefore chose to utilise one of their coaches as a shuttle as far as the Champs Elysee from where we embarked on our own pre-planned itinerary, the major part of which was to climb the Arc de Triomphe…

That adventure is adequately covered elsewhere on this forum…

https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/forums/travel-places/7013-towering-over-europe-part-7-paris

Amongst other places visited was the unofficial Princess Diana monument…

The Flame of Liberty (Flamme de la Liberté) in Paris is a full-sized, gold-leaf-covered replica of the flame of the torch from the Statue of Liberty and was originally donated to Paris in 1989 by the International Herald Tribune.

@Solent_Richard wrote:

Oh the sacrifices I make over good drinking time to grab that extra special photograph…

Essex UK

coolonespa wrote:

What a magnificent find, great picture.

Thank you @coolonespa

It certainly was, but there was more to come. Almost in the back garden of the Moulin was the equally photogenic Château des Tourelles at Vernon…

…while keeping my ‘ears to the ground’ I discovered that the ‘Moulin’ was usually illuminated at night. Oh the sacrifices I make over good drinking time to grab that extra special photograph…

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message