Welcome to our forums.

Viking River Cruise - Paris to Normandy

Wow! It’s really beautiful.

Continuing on our way we spotted another river boat heading towards us…

Another Viking, the Rinda…

Not too many folk up and about on her.

And so we set off overnight heading away from Vernon in the direction of Rouen.

I was up at dawn break, keen not to miss any scenery worth catching and wasn’t disappointed.

It was a delightfully fresh morning and there as a light mist hanging over the river as I sipped my coffee on the Sun Deck forward…

Shame we created a small swell otherwise this photograph might well have been more suited in the ‘Reflection’ collection…

Eventually we approached the lock gates at Le Bas de Poses…

No sooner than we were through…

…another boat was entering to be raised…

Fossil wrote:

They were taken on Omaha Beach when I covered the D Day Landings commemoration. I covered all the beaches plus the American Cemetery and surrounding villages.
The first picture is the memorial to the 116th Combat Team and the second the RAF. We had with us a veteran who parachuted in with the 101st Airborne on the 6th June 1944.
This is a link to that part of my trip which I know brought a tear to the eye of many readers.

Thanks for that @Fossil

We too did Omaha Beach and I obviously missed that particular monument.

I did recognise the American uniform hence asked the question.

Solent_Richard wrote:

On which beach were they taken?

They were taken on Omaha Beach when I covered the D Day Landings commemoration. I covered all the beaches plus the American Cemetery and surrounding villages.
The first picture is the memorial to the 116th Combat Team and the second the RAF. We had with us a veteran who parachuted in with the 101st Airborne on the 6th June 1944.
This is a link to that part of my trip which I know brought a tear to the eye of many readers.
https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/cruise-azamara-blog/azamara-club-cruises-memories-of-world-war-ii-days-5

London

Having returned from Giverny and had a late lunch we had a few more hours remaining in Vernon. There was a complimentary walking tour of the town or the option of ‘Free Time’.

The American guys who were our table mates had invited me to join them for a few beers in the town but I had other plans first. First I hot footed it across the bridge to grab a few photographs of the ‘Old Mill’…

…and on my return headed for what I now know to be ‘The Archives Tower’…

The tower and a small section old wall is all that remain of the 12th Century Vernon Castle and gained its current name from the fact that from the 19th Century it stored the town’s archives…

Well satisfied with the results of my early afternoon exercise I headed to the town centre where I met up with my table mates and enjoyed a few beers…

One particular interesting fact was the way the street vista had changed from my earlier visit just after breakfast…

and later in the day…

Great Photographs @Fossil

On which beach were they taken?

I’ll be covering our visit to the Normandy beaches in due course.

Normandy.

London

Well that has just about covered the attractions and main purpose of stopping at Vernon except that I haven’t mentioned the town itself.

I took the opportunity of heading into the centre between breakfast and our excursion departure and was well pleased I did so. It gave me the opportunity to capture some of the town’s historical landmarks at sunrise…

The Marie (Town Hall)

The Gothic Notre Dame Church

Adjacent the church, the beautiful 15th century half timbered house…

…and a collage of both…

There are some 233 wooden houses scattered along old narrow streets in the vicinity of the church and the museum and I enjoyed the time capturing a few on my camera…

Last Edited by Solent_Richard at 06 Nov 08:10

coolonespa wrote:

Looks an interesting cruise Richard, thanks for sharing the pictures/info.

It was, and thank you for your kind comment.

To wrap up the Giverny section, we just managed to find time to have a quick look around the Museum of Impressionism…

I’ll sort out a few photographs later, it’s lunch time here.

24 Posts
Sign in to add your message