Welcome to our forums.

How electric vehicles are moving into the fast lane

coolonespa wrote:

coolonespa
07:55 10-Oct-19

Great point Alan. I’d love to know if every one of these charging points is backed by a green tariff. Defeats the point of them if not.

Exactly @Fossil and @coolonespa – yet again we get a one-sided version of the so-called benefits but not a balanced argument.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Great point Alan. I’d love to know if every one of these charging points is backed by a green tariff. Defeats the point of them if not.

Essex UK

From what do we produce the electricity needed for all these electric vehicles.

London

Hungarian inventor Anyos Jedlik is generally accredited as being the inventor of the electric car in 1828, powering a car by a small electric motor. With a current driving range of 180 miles, 2 million electric vehicles were sold around the world in 2018 and now account for 3.4% of the automotive market with the sector growing by 93.1% after one year. UK now has 25,951 EV (electric vehicle) charging points across 9,577 locations (one of the largest EV charging countries in the world). The Nissan “Leaf” is currently the UK’s top selling EV model.

UK EV charging network:

http://www.octopusev.com

Last Edited by GreyWolf at 09 Oct 13:25

An article in our free English newspaper states that at present, there are only 17 charging
points for electric cars in Spain (not sure if that is fact or not, so don’t quote me!). But if
so, a lot needs to be done before they are viable over here.

There is a car share scheme where I live – and it has a couple of hybrid cars – and I love them. I confess I don’t totally understand the engineering, but somehow the engine charges the battery when the car is running, and then the petrol kicks in when necessary. It’s odd at first, because it’s silent – so you don’t hear and engine (and have to remember that pedestrians can’t hear you) but they’re lovely to drive.

Fossil wrote:

Fossil
09:40 23-May-19

Grey-Wolf wrote:

Meanwhile, UK and other European countries make up only a few per cent of electric car sales as does USA:

Hardly surprising @Grey-Wolf with the price of them plus the cost of replacing the batteries after a few years which costs thousands of pounds. Yes they run on electricity but how environmentally friendly are they really!! Electricity is provided by means of fossil fuels in many cases, batteries currently cannot be disposed of in an environmentally friendly way. Currently they don’t attract any road fund licence but that will change as soon as the government realise how much revenue they are loosing.

Well said, Alan @Fossil – it seems to me this ‘miracle solution’ has not been thought through as thoroughly as it might!

Grey-Wolf wrote:

Meanwhile, UK and other European countries make up only a few per cent of electric car sales as does USA:

Hardly surprising @Grey-Wolf with the price of them plus the cost of replacing the batteries after a few years which costs thousands of pounds. Yes they run on electricity but how environmentally friendly are they really!! Electricity is provided by means of fossil fuels in many cases, batteries currently cannot be disposed of in an environmentally friendly way. Currently they don’t attract any road fund licence but that will change as soon as the government realise how much revenue they are loosing.

London

Yet another intriguing infographic here charting the sale of electric cars. As it stands Norway and Iceland have the lion’s share of the market, with Norway buying almost 50% of all electric cars. Meanwhile, UK and other European countries make up only a few per cent of electric car sales as does USA:

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/electric-vehicle-sales

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 22 May 11:36
Wakefield, West Yorks.

@Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

My suggestions would be

Wow….far from what I was expecting, now there’s some interesting ideas.

So how about this the (@Fossil might like this one). I was reading about how organised crime costs us £37bn pa read more at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46050428

So I’m thinking we invest £1bn now in resources for the police so that they can stop this, then that offsets the loss of fuel duty….simples.

Essex UK
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message