Welcome to our forums.

Monarch flights cancelled as airline ceases trading

Well done Gill.

North Northumberland

As I’m going to be in Spain soon I thought I’d try & pop in & steal Alan’s glass of Rose. Sadly Google says I’ll be 250Kms away, so a 500Km round trip would make it an expensive glass of wine

Essex UK

Thanks @Fossil and @coolonespa – I appreciated your initial help and input. Come and get it, Alan!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Well done Gill, mines a large glass of Rose

London

Well done Gill. I’m glad you’ve been rewarded for your persistence.

Essex UK

Way back in October I posted that I had one return and one single flight with Monarch, paid for by Visa Debit. I spent months of emailing, forwarding invoices to various sources, and literally dozens of follow-up emails, etc. etc. Today I checked my Nationwide account and was amazed to find two payments, under the heading of SUNDRIES credit. The amounts weren’t familiar as I had paid in euros, but I can only assume I have finally been reimbursed (no accompanying correspondence whatsover). So, persistance pays off and I am one happy bunny!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

In 2015 there was consultation relating to what Banks could charge Businesses for carrying out transactions. Nothing about what businesses can charge consumers. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/rules-to-cap-credit-and-debit-card-fees-set-out-by-government
I wish I had the faith the government have in saying this “And that’s why I am delighted that we reached an agreement to reduce the fees that banks can charge businesses for processing card transactions. I expect businesses to pass on these savings to consumers in the form of lower prices”. Dream on.

London

Applegroupie wrote:-

“I pay by debit card because travel companies/agents charge between 1.5% to 2.5% for payments by credit card which could add up to quite a tidy sum, e.g. a cruise for 2 people @ £1,999 pp x 2 = £3998. Add credit card fee at 1.5% that’s another £59.97, or £99.95 extra at 2.5%.

I thought a law came out earlier this year prohibiting these charges. I don’t know what happened to that???

I got wise and what I do now is pay my first £100 with my credit card to get my Section 75 credit card protection and the rest by debit card. I don’t mind paying credit card charges on £100, which is no more than £2.50, for the extra protection".

Funnily enough I made a booking for a P&O cruise this morning. I told the the travel agent I wanted to pay the deposit, a considerable sum, by credit card and she offered to ‘waive’ the charge to secure my business.

Having completed the booking she sent me an email saying that P&O had added the charge – most travel agents have a linked system with the cruise lines – and that i would see a larger amount on my cc statement.

She then added that she would, having agreed to waive the cc charge, reimburse that charge from my final bill.

Can’t have better than that.

Meanwhile I too wonder when these companies will toe the line on the prohibition of charges? Maybe there is currently a period of grace.

Fossil wrote:

Am having difficulty in understanding why people still pay for holidays, airlines etc by debit card

I pay by debit card because travel companies/agents charge between 1.5% to 2.5% for payments by credit card which could add up to quite a tidy sum, e.g. a cruise for 2 people @ £1,999 pp x 2 = £3998. Add credit card fee at 1.5% that’s another £59.97, or £99.95 extra at 2.5%.

I thought a law came out earlier this year prohibiting these charges. I don’t know what happened to that???

I got wise and what I do now is pay my first £100 with my credit card to get my Section 75 credit card protection and the rest by debit card. I don’t mind paying credit card charges on £100, which is no more than £2.50, for the extra protection.

Just returned from a trip where the PR organising the trip used the national airline of the country we were visiting. I am now convinced that you “Don’t always get what you pay for”.

London
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message