Welcome to our forums.

Coaches, coaches and more Coaches (and buses welcome too)

Essex UK

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

Lovely pic. and interesting information, @northernblue

Exactly what I was going to say.

Essex UK

northernblue wrote:

There were many Leyland buses in the Maltese Islands, and even more proclaiming themselves to be Leylands; but in Malta, everything is not what it seems to be. This is a genuine Leyland – a 1953 Leyland Royal Tiger, despite being badged here as a Leyland Comet. New to Ribble Motor Services in North West England with a Burlingham Seagull coach body, the chassis was exported to Malta in 1973, where it received a new 35-seat body by local bodybuilder Schembri before entering service as Gozo bus 2070 (later re-registered FBY 037). It remained in service until the re-organisation of the island’s bus services in 2011. Like many of Gozo’s traditional buses, it found further use on the main island working private charters, but its current status is unknown. Built like a tank – and some would say nearly as heavy – the Royal Tiger was Leyland’s first venture into underfloor-engined bus and coach chassis. Eight Royal Tigers saw out their twilight years on the Maltese Islands

Lovely pic. and interesting information, @northernblue

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

coolonespa wrote:

Have you got a picture of one?

Unfortunately not Steve as I lost a lot of my photos when my hard drive and backup corrupted about 6 years ago. But if you Google Leyland Buses Malta there are pages of them.

London

There were many Leyland buses in the Maltese Islands, and even more proclaiming themselves to be Leylands; but in Malta, everything is not what it seems to be. This is a genuine Leyland – a 1953 Leyland Royal Tiger, despite being badged here as a Leyland Comet. New to Ribble Motor Services in North West England with a Burlingham Seagull coach body, the chassis was exported to Malta in 1973, where it received a new 35-seat body by local bodybuilder Schembri before entering service as Gozo bus 2070 (later re-registered FBY 037). It remained in service until the re-organisation of the island’s bus services in 2011. Like many of Gozo’s traditional buses, it found further use on the main island working private charters, but its current status is unknown. Built like a tank – and some would say nearly as heavy – the Royal Tiger was Leyland’s first venture into underfloor-engined bus and coach chassis. Eight Royal Tigers saw out their twilight years on the Maltese Islands

Last Edited by northernblue at 01 Apr 12:11

That’s interesting Alan. Have you got a picture of one?

Essex UK

Yes, Malta.

London

Anyone seen a Leyland vehicle anywhere other than Sri Lanka?

Essex UK

coolonespa wrote:

coolonespa
10:08 29-Mar-20

Love the paint jobs on some of the busses in Sri Lanka

Some I find garish, but that’s very tasteful, Steve.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Love the paint jobs on some of the busses in Sri Lanka

Essex UK
113 Posts
Sign in to add your message