Welcome to our forums.

Where to get the best travel SIM?

We too are fans of 3 and used the pay as you go with an add on when travelling in New Zealand. It is great for many countries outside Europe. Quite a long list of them.

Last Edited by GBG at 06 Dec 14:19
Essex UK

@coolonespa wrote:

@Barrowman has mentioned 3 a few times on the forum

I also use ‘3’, buying their add-on that gives full coverage for almost everywhere I’ve been travelling. They have a full list of countries covered. They don’t include phonecalls/texts to the country you’re in; only back to the UK.

Last Edited by Albatrail at 17 May 09:21
Scotland

Welcome to the forum @Bettina

I’m not sure that I know of any one SIM that covers the whole world at reasonable prices, I think you have to take it on a country by country basis. Assuming your base sim is a UK one, then many of them allow you to use your UK package in other countries for no extra charge e.g. I’m with Vodafone & their Global Roaming gives me inclusive use of my package at no charge in 48 countries. @Barrowman has mentioned 3 a few times on the forum & I believe their package allows you to roam free in countries like the USA, so worth checking out.

At other times it just as easy to get a local SIM, which is what I did recently in South Africa. The staff in the Vodocom shop at Johannesburg airport help me chose a suitable package and then fitted the SIM & registered it for me, so it was very easy.

Please keep us updated on your findings, I’d be interested to know what you consider the best option for you.

Essex UK

Hi @Bettina and welcome to the forum.
Personally if I were going to rely on internet services i.e wi-fi I would use my normal phone and not bother with local sim cards. Free wi-fi is so easily available in many parts of the world. The only time I use local sim cards are if I want to use my phone to make phone calls and then depending on which country, as in some phone calls can be expensive.If however you still want a sim card I would be heading for Vodaphone who are worldwide. My Egyptian phone has as Egyptian sim in it and phone calls are very cheap even to phone the UK.

London

I gave up trying to sort a travel SIM – all the that faffing with SIM cards and numbers, and found it didn’t save me much.

But that was ages ago – maybe someone else knows of a card offering good value now.

I am travelling a lot, but I still would like to be available for my family, mainly by using internet services, not phone calls. I was thinking to explore a travel SIM. Any recommendations which one is the best and where to get it?

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message