Welcome to our forums.

How to fly without a guilty conscience

10 Posts

Well said @JoCarroll and @coolonespa

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

@JoCarroll wrote:

but that doesn’t absolve us of responsibility to do the best we can.

JoCarroll wrote:

And a million meagre efforts might make a difference.

I couldn’t agree with those sentiments more Jo. What irks me is that hypocrisy is grabbing the main stage and occupied by people wanting to grab headlines rather than those who truly care about the environment. Take Emma Thompson flying all the way from California to join the last protest, then flying straight back.

JoCarroll wrote:

that the big decisions need to be made by governments across the world

So what if that decision is to limit each individual top one flight/cruise per year!

I’m betting that the woman mentioned above will be the fist one to grab another headline by protesting that her human rights have been violated. I agree that governments ned to regulate & force change in businesses (we need information & alternatives to make our contribution greater) but you’re so right that we need to start acting now on an individual level.

Essex UK

I’m sure we can all think of people who say one thing and don’t act on it – but that doesn’t absolve us of responsibility to do the best we can.

Every parent wants to bequeath the world to their children in a better place than it was when they were children. Our generation has failed to do that – even bearing in mind the rationing etc of the 1940s and 50s and improvements in standards of living, we can’t ignore the fact that our over-exploitation of the planet is leaving the next generation with a crisis to deal with. Of course we haven’t done it on purpose, but we are where we are.

And I know that my meagre efforts will not be the make or break, that the big decisions need to be made by governments across the world. But that doesn’t mean I should simply give up. And a million meagre efforts might make a difference.

coolonespa wrote:

coolonespa
09:06 11-Oct-19

I was listening to a debate about the Extinction Rebellion & one lady panelist was animated & vociferous in her support, even to the extent of forcing a sticker onto another panellist who had opposing view (is that terrorism?). Having blown her mouth off for some time in support of the protests it came out that she regularly flies to Bulgaria to see her Mother in Law, arguing that that was OK as her children had the right to see their Grandmother. No mention of moderating these journeys, going less but longer, any hint that she offsets these flights…in my eyes showed herself up to be a total hypocrite. It was all about how the government should act, not the contribution she was making.

Isn’t that the way of so many protestors – regardless of topic – these days, Steve, sad to say.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

I was listening to a debate about the Extinction Rebellion & one lady panelist was animated & vociferous in her support, even to the extent of forcing a sticker onto another panellist who had opposing view (is that terrorism?). Having blown her mouth off for some time in support of the protests it came out that she regularly flies to Bulgaria to see her Mother in Law, arguing that that was OK as her children had the right to see their Grandmother. No mention of moderating these journeys, going less but longer, any hint that she offsets these flights…in my eyes showed herself up to be a total hypocrite. It was all about how the government should act, not the contribution she was making.

Essex UK

Irrespective of what world leaders do, I am aware that my travelling contributes to climate change – and I want to do something about that.

I’d go nuts if I stopped travelling, so I always offset flights (so thanks for these links, @Barrowman).

Next Easter I’m meeting up with all my daughters and their families in Killarney – we had some wonderful holidays there when the daughters were small (its a big birthday). They are working and have children – and need to get there as painlessly as possible. So daughter with 3 boys is flying. Daughter with new baby might drive to Fishguard and take the ferry. Daughter who can only take 4-5 days off work is flying. Other daughter will decide at the last minute as she always does. All the flyers will offset their flights. And I shall take the train to Fishguard, cross on the ferry, and work out whether to do a bus, train or hire car the other side (I can take two days over the journey). But we are all aware the impact of our travels – and want a cleaner world for the children to grow up in.

A recent survey logging the carbon emissions of individual world leaders in 2018 from their own aeroplane flight emissions, place Shinzo Abe , the President of Japan, with the highest at 14,422.1 tonnes closely followed in second place by Donald Trump of USA with 11,487.3 tonnes of CO2 in his Airforce One Boeing 747 200B producing 88kg of CO2 per kilometre flown. Angela Merkel of Germany 8th place with 7,477.3 tonnes and In 12th place Theresa May of UK producing 2,277.6 tonnes of CO2 on her air travels.

Even if we didn’t all drop dead straight away – life would be miserable. And I suppose the factories making medicines would also close, the hospitals wouldn’t be able to operate without electricity so I suppose it wouldn’t be long before Fossils prediction came true

Malta

I never have a guilty conscience when flying. There comes a time when you realise that although you don’t want to pollute the atmosphere there really is no alternative. There has always been pollution in various forms ever since man discovered fire. Even the organisations that have set themselves up to preach to us about pollution, pollute the atmosphere just by the people they employ using buses and cars to get to work and the gases given off from the heating and air conditioning units they have in their premises. To stop all pollution would mean the human race would die. Just my opinion.

London

Carbon emissions…..Leave a lighter footprint.

If time is short or you are travelling a long distance, a cheap flight is the quickest and most cost-effective way to reach your destination. If you’re worried about the environmental consequences of flying, there are many schemes to help you offset your carbon emissions and cancel out the damage caused by the flight. Here are some ways to leave a lighter footprint on the planet:

*_Atmosfair_ *is a German site that finances renewable energy projects in developing countries. Use the emissions calculator to find out how damaging your flight has been and make a donation for that flight (or for flights bought in the previous year). The money is invested in projects that are monitored by UN-accredited technical organisations to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by the amount created by your flight.

On the CarbonNeutral Company site you can calculate your CO2 emissions, learn how to reduce them and buy products and gifts that contribute to projects which soak up or compensate for unavoidable emissions such as tree planting and green energy in developing countries.

Contribute to Climate Care, a website that has a calculator that will tell you how much CO2 your trip will create and how much your company should contribute to one of its projects to make the trip climate neutral. Projects include funding low-energy light bulbs in Africa, replanting rainforests, and funding projects which remove CO2 from the atmosphere.

Tourism Concern is a UK-based charity, set up in the late 1980s, that serves as a good starting point if you want to learn more about ethical and fair tourism at home and abroad. Annual membership costs from £24.

Friends of Conservation works on projects with indigenous people around the world, helping them protect their local wildlife and habitats. It has a membership of nearly 50 tour operators that have a particular interest in conservation.

Bedford
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message