Welcome to our forums.

Thoughts on tours you've taken

coolonespa wrote:

-Apr-19

I was reading about a company that rivals the cruise company excursions and guarantees to get you back to your ship on time. Has anyone used https://www.cruisingexcursions.com before & what was your experience like?

Yes, Steve, I’ve had 3 excursions with them in the Far Eas last yeat, and was pleased with the service provided, and the very reasonable prices. For example a 6 hour tour of Bali cost just £21. I reluctantly (because I’d been there twice before but my travelling companion had not) booked a tour to Bangkok. We should have been back on board at 18.30 but on the way back we were in a traffic jam for over an hour, although our driver really put his foot down once that was cleared, it became obvious we would not make that time. However, our guide was in constant contact with the ship and was assured they would wait for us (a group of 20), so he reassured us regularly, and we made it back at 19.05 and set sail almost immediately. Bit of a worry at the time, of course, and I subsequently decided I would not undertake such a long tour again (estimated travel time was purported to be 2.5 hours). Hope thata hasn’t put anyone off!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

I was reading about a company that rivals the cruise company excursions and guarantees to get you back to your ship on time. Has anyone used https://www.cruisingexcursions.com before & what was your experience like?

Essex UK

Sounds like a great tour @GBG & like Alan I’ve noted the name of the tour company.

Essex UK

Thanks for the information @GBG they sound like a company to keep to the fore.

London

We took a small group tour for 8 days to Jordan with On The Go Tours On the Go Tours
It was amazing and included all the places we wanted to see and a few more. It was fairly fast paced but gave us enough time to see all that we wanted to. The group was about 12 to start with but others joined a few days later and there were 18. The tour leader was very good at working out what we wanted to do and giving us options to change things if we wanted to. He added some time at Little Petra because we wanted to go there and it was not on the itinerary. He also found suitable low priced options for lunch including take away options if we needed to travel and eat in order to fit in the things we wanted to do. He always gave us choices but obviously with the itinerary in mind. Part of the tour was the option to do a river canyon walk and whilst I did it, there were others who opted out. The tour leader took them on to the next destination then came back for us. He was very knowledgeable and very good at telling us all of the things we needed to know about Jordan. He also guided us about the best time to visit Petra and gave us a guided tour that went right through the main site and into the mountains beyond, arranging to get us picked up by 4 by 4 rather than walk back the way we had come.It was lovely to be given this choice. I felt the price of the tour was very good for what we had and think that it would have been very difficult to fit everything we did in if we had planned the trip ourselves. If that tour was anything to go by, we will use On The Go again.

Yes some good examples @WASATCH

Cruise companies aren’t the only ones that overcharge for group tours. You can often find the same with tours organised by TUI, Thomas Cook & the like. Being hotel/resort based there isn’t the issue of making it back before the ship sails (although in an article in the latest World of Cruising Magazine Dave Monk says it is one of the prime reason for cruise excursions). There is, however, as comfort factor that the big operator who organised the rest of your package deal will look after you if you go on one of their trips. Its also easy, you just turn up to the meeting, listen to the description, pay your money. Some folk don’t want to do the research to find a reputable local alternative.

A recent example from me is in Sri Lanka, the TUI tours seemed costly & none of them really combined the things we wanted to do. We found a local family, designed a custom tour with them, private car (aircon), guide & driver for about 2/3s of the nearest comparable TUI group tour.

Essex UK

WASATCH wrote:

I had a small member failure. what are called “hill houses” are better called the terrace houses (extra fee above the basic admission. The ship’s tour which was twice as expensive as ours did not include the terrace houses (extra fee), but it was included in ours.

Good morning @WASATCH

Ah, the ‘Terrace Houses’…

I have to confess our ‘Private’ tour cost a little more than the advertised ship’s excursion. We were well pleased with our guide who even knew exactly where and when to be in order that we could witness the daily pageant…

Reply to
Solent_Richard
08:37 11-Mar-19

I had a small member failure. what are called “hill houses” are better called the terrace houses (extra fee above the basic admission. The ship’s tour which was twice as expensive as ours did not include the terrace houses (extra fee), but it was included in ours.

WASATCH wrote:

Port Kusadasi. tour Emphasis. Oceania price for two $240. Our price for local tour for 2 $120. Oceania tour 40+ people per guide. Our tour 2 people, one guide. Oceania tour, no visit to the hill houses. Our tour, about an hour in the hill houses.

Good morning @WASATCH

We too did a ‘private tour’ to Ephesus …

…though from the port of Izmur.

It was arranged for us by a good friend who has a holiday home in Kusadasi.

When you mentioned the ‘hill houses’ did that include the ’House of the Virgin Mary?

Good examples @WASATCH

London
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message