Welcome to our forums.

I'm with Uber

Ah! One that we have heard of.

Good evening Richard,
I think you will find that John Worboys is one in many years not one of the 32 in one year.

London

Fossil wrote:

Currently I would not consider using Uber. Hire one in the centre of London and the likelihood is they will drive you to your destination using their Sat Nav, Black Cab drivers have learned it in their ‘Knowledge Training’. If there is a traffic jam in front of them they will sit in it whereas a Black Cab will know short cuts, back doubles, roadworks and trouble spots in advance. I also know their cabs are road worthy as they have to go through the ‘Annual Overhaul’, they can carry wheel chair users and the disabled. If your on a budget then use Uber but I would rather be in the hands of a professional. In 2016, 32 allegations of rape or sexual assault were made against Uber drivers to London Police according to this article. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/uber-drivers-accused-of-32-sex-attacks-on-london-customers-in-one-year-a3251706.html

Good morning Fossil.

But no mention of the black cab driver John Worboys’ case which is currently dominating the news channels?

Meanwhile budget constraints never entered my head. What I really found intriguing was the use of GPS to offer me a number of options and the fact the App could tell me how many minutes those options were away from me.

And finally, for this response, although not captured on my earlier screenshot, the drivers name is given as soon as you accept the fare. Not exactly an option when waving down a cab in any worldwide city.

coolonespa wrote:

I’m glad you had a positive experience with Uber but I’m somewhat wary of them at the moment. At present “TfL deemed Uber unfit to run a taxi service and refused to renew its licence in September.” this being based on “TfL’s concerns include Uber’s approach to carrying out background checks on drivers and reporting serious criminal offences.” more detail at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42012719

It disappoints me that Uber’s response to this has been to drag its way through the appeals process rather than swiftly addressing Tfl’s concerns.

I’m also concerned about the safety of my information, particularly my credit card details following Chicago suing Uber over an undisclosed hacking incident. “which said last week that the personal information of 57 million customers and drivers had been stolen in October 2016” more detail at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/11/28/chicago-sues-uber-over-data-breach/?utm_term=.0fa9f6adbfbb

I’m also concerned about the impact of Uber on London’s Black Cabs. For me they are as much a part of London as Yellow cabs in New York and Cadillacs in Havana. So whilst they should be robust to fair competition, we need to see competitors subject to the same regulations and checks that Black cabs are. In 2017 the news was full of issues that concerned Uber worldwide, so for now I’ll keep an eye on these & use other transport options in London.

At the risk of being a trifle controversial here, I take the view that the tfl issue is more to do with the politics of the Mayor of London and his trades union friends…

https://order-order.com/tag/uber/

Currently I would not consider using Uber. Hire one in the centre of London and the likelihood is they will drive you to your destination using their Sat Nav, Black Cab drivers have learned it in their ‘Knowledge Training’. If there is a traffic jam in front of them they will sit in it whereas a Black Cab will know short cuts, back doubles, roadworks and trouble spots in advance. I also know their cabs are road worthy as they have to go through the ‘Annual Overhaul’, they can carry wheel chair users and the disabled. If your on a budget then use Uber but I would rather be in the hands of a professional. In 2016, 32 allegations of rape or sexual assault were made against Uber drivers to London Police according to this article. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/uber-drivers-accused-of-32-sex-attacks-on-london-customers-in-one-year-a3251706.html

London

I’m glad you had a positive experience with Uber but I’m somewhat wary of them at the moment. At present “TfL deemed Uber unfit to run a taxi service and refused to renew its licence in September.” this being based on “TfL’s concerns include Uber’s approach to carrying out background checks on drivers and reporting serious criminal offences.” more detail at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42012719

It disappoints me that Uber’s response to this has been to drag its way through the appeals process rather than swiftly addressing Tfl’s concerns.

I’m also concerned about the safety of my information, particularly my credit card details following Chicago suing Uber over an undisclosed hacking incident. “which said last week that the personal information of 57 million customers and drivers had been stolen in October 2016” more detail at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/11/28/chicago-sues-uber-over-data-breach/?utm_term=.0fa9f6adbfbb

I’m also concerned about the impact of Uber on London’s Black Cabs. For me they are as much a part of London as Yellow cabs in New York and Cadillacs in Havana. So whilst they should be robust to fair competition, we need to see competitors subject to the same regulations and checks that Black cabs are. In 2017 the news was full of issues that concerned Uber worldwide, so for now I’ll keep an eye on these & use other transport options in London.

Essex UK

JoCarroll wrote:

My problem with Uber isn’t the technology – just because I haven’t got the hang of it yet doesn’t mean it isn’t wonderful.

My concern is in the lack of oversight of their drivers. Having worked in Child Protection I know that men who would abuse women and children will do almost anything to have access to them – and if the London cabbies, who do give their drivers DBS clearance, can’t ensure that everyone is safe, then Uber – who don’t – leave people hugely vulnerable. If they sorted that, I’d be much happier with them.

Good morning Jo.

Internet in Katmandu looking good.

Of course I hear what you say but another aspect of their technology that appealed to me was the ‘auto’ feedback that is offered on the system. A chance to immediately ‘rate’ the service and its individual provider…a service not available with London cabbies.

My problem with Uber isn’t the technology – just because I haven’t got the hang of it yet doesn’t mean it isn’t wonderful.

My concern is in the lack of oversight of their drivers. Having worked in Child Protection I know that men who would abuse women and children will do almost anything to have access to them – and if the London cabbies, who do give their drivers DBS clearance, can’t ensure that everyone is safe, then Uber – who don’t – leave people hugely vulnerable. If they sorted that, I’d be much happier with them.

Always one to embrace new technology I am pleased to announce that following my recent adventures in the USA I have now enrolled with Uber.

It all came about during a dinner conversation onboard the American Queen Paddle-steamer with our American table mates who convinced me, very easily, that it was a great service.

Basically operated via an App which I downloaded onto my iPhone, you can have it up and running in less than 10 minutes.

I would guess the real secret is that you need the GPS running on your iPhone because that is really the key to getting a quick and cheap service.

No cash is involved as Uber takes the fare from a registered credit card.

So putting it straight into practice I booked a ride from our New Orleans hotel to the Cruise Terminal and, on return. from the cruise terminal to the airport.

The process on both occasions was dead easy and in both instances cars arrived within 3 minutes of accepting the fare.

Of course i should have screen shot the process to illustrate just how efficient it is but excitement obviously got the better of me.

I do however have, taken from my Uber App, the record of those first two journeys and the fares paid…

Now here’s the benefit.

NOLA taxis to the Airport charge $38.00 plus a luggage charge while the ship transfer cost $23.50 each in a coach.

Certainly could be a hit amongst one or two budget cruisers I know.

Last Edited by Solent_Richard at 12 Jan 16:54
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message