Welcome to our forums.

People are rushing to climb Uluru before it's banned - would you/have you?

I personally think they should have brought in the ban years ago and without warning. When we visited in 2003 it was better known as Ayers Rock and we genuinely didn’t know it was a sacred site. It was part of an exciting round the world trip and we’d had little time to do our usual research about all the places we planned to visit. Naturally, we immediately respected the wishes of the Anangu people once we understood the significance of the rock.

In these days of social media, ignorance is no excuse and, unfortunately, giving advance warning of the ban has led to this mad rush with selfish people compounding the problems for the local communities by camping illegally before tramping all over the rock. As @JoCarroll says, “there are so many wonderful things to see and do in the world without trampling all over other peoples’ cultures.”

Agreed. A bit of respect when you’re travelling goes a long way.

Essex UK

No, I haven’t and I wouldn’t. There are so many wonderful things to see and do in the world without trampling all over other peoples’ cultures – so why feel a need to do this?

ESW wrote:

ESW
10:29 17-Jul-19

It worries me that some people seem to think it is their god given right to do exactly what they want regardless of other people (and their beliefs in this case). This seems to be a classic example.

Definitely agree with you there, @ESW – ultimately it all boils down to selfishness and a lack of
respect for others.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

It worries me that some people seem to think it is their god given right to do exactly what they want regardless of other people (and their beliefs in this case). This seems to be a classic example.

I’ve not been there, although daughter has. It rained all the time so she never did see the sunrise or sunset but did see waterfalls of water running down the rock face. She didn’t climb it.

ESW
Lincolnshire

Visiting Uluru is on many people’s bucket list with many setting off before sunrise to enjoy the changing colours on the rock face. Others also go there to climb this World Heritage listed site, and there is now a mad rush to make the ascent before it becomes illegal? on 26 October, 2019.

Have any silver travellers climbed the rock? We visited back in 2003, climbing boots at the ready but the traditional owners, the Anangu people, boarded our coach the moment we parked and silently handed out leaflets respectfully requesting that we did not clamber all over their sacred site. In case anyone remained determined to ignore the polite request, the final note at the foot of the leaflet issued a stark warning “Please note, there are no handrails on our mountain and x visitors die each year because strong winds that appear without warning and blow you away….”

Suitable chastened, not one of our party attempted the climb. Instead we enjoyed a fascinating tour around the base seeing the ancient rock paintings, meeting the local inhabitants and learning about their culture.

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message