Welcome to our forums.

Southsea on an October Saturday morning

Having completed our visit to Southsea Castle we walked diagonally across Southsea Common, past Portsmouth Cathedral and into Old Portsmouth to one of our favourite restaurants, the Abarbistro…

for lunch…

Moules Mariniere to start…

…and their excellent Beer Battered Cod and Chips…

An all round excellent morning out and about.

And so, having passed the ‘Pyramids’…

…we arrived at Southsea Castle…

Southsea Castle, historically also known as Chaderton Castle, is an artillery fort originally constructed by Henry VIII in 1544.

Barely had the work been completed when Henry VIII stood inside only to watch his flagship, the Mary Rose, tragically sink at the Battle of the Solent against the French in July 1545.

Entrance is free and there are examples of artillery pieces, gun platforms and panoramic views from the top of the keep…

…that overlook the Isle of Wight and the Solent…

Inside ‘The Keep’ are many historical artefacts and displays…

We had been informed that the area to see the Schnauzer activity would be to the east of the pier and so that was where we headed, until we saw, coming towards us a quite amazing site…

They had already walked half the length of Southsea Beach, as far as the entrance to Langstone Harbour and were now on the ‘return leg’, so as to speak.

I don’t think I’ve seen so many dogs, all of one breed, gathered together. As they reached us and continued back towards the pier…

…a few that weren’t on leads ventured close to me…

…while some took an interest in this photographer chap…

…while his wife joined the walk with her friend…

Needless to say yours truly couldn’t resist the area we were in, by now we were adjacent the old Royal Marines barracks at Eastney, part of which houses their Museum…

As the dogs started to disperse we decided on a walk along Southsea Beach in a westerly direction towards Old Portsmouth.

Next up, we stop at Southsea Castle.

Sorry about that folks, something went wrong and the photographs failed to load. Here’s South Parade Pier…

More to follow because right now my breakfast is ready.

Imagine my surprise when my wife announced she wanted to attend a ‘Schnauzer Fest’ being held at Southsea last Saturday.

In matter of fact we have a number of friends who own dogs of this trendy breed but one in particular, another member of the Military Wives Choir, had passed the invite.

And so mid-morning we arrived on Southsea beach, pretty close to South parade Pier…

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message