Welcome to our forums.

Destinations we’d like to visit again

Out of interest there is possibly only one place I would like to re-visit but even then I’d have to be in the country to justify the time….Dien Bien Phu

I was on a three week private Vietnamese Battlefield Tour in September 2000 and wasn’t the keen photographer then that I am now.

Also digital photography wasn’t around either and my memories of that exceptional time and visit are limited to old fashioned photography…

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

Totally agree, @Fossil – I find it so tedious when people post interminable photos of themselves, thinking the world and his wife could possibly be interested. Smacks of arrogance and self-indulgence!

Hmnnn. Now there’s an interesting statement.

Would that perchance apply to other forums?

I can think of many international cities, and quite a few African ones, where poverty is on open display.

And I cannot think of any internationally recognised or identified tourist attractions in Lagos, Nigeria, that visitors would have on their bucket list.

So maybe @Fossil will post some photographs of his visit in order to enlighten us and put our minds at rest over the well documented personal security risks that are associated with that city and country.

Fossil wrote:

A City of diversities as opposed to the places people go so they can post their holiday snaps. It’s for me the real Africa.

Totally agree, @Fossil – I find it so tedious when people post interminable photos of themselves, thinking the world and his wife could possibly be interested. Smacks of arrogance and self-indulgence!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

It’s a city of so many things. Motorways that have horrendous traffic jams but whilst stationary sellers come along selling everything from water to stereo radios. Our driver purchased some water and the traffic began to move but the seller ran after the car with the drivers change. There are many poor people there, saw one family living under a lorry trailer that had been abandoned whilst at the other end of the scale are houses you can only dream about. Large hotels, beautiful beaches, nice areas and dangerous areas. Friendly people who are the opposite of the perception of many. Crazy drivers, hooting motor vehicles that wouldn’t be allowed on our roads but manage the unmade roads of the surrounding villages. Where Families of 4 and 5 manage to get on a motor bike at the same time. A City of diversities as opposed to the places people go so they can post their holiday snaps. It’s for me the real Africa.

London

@Fossil wrote:

Lagos, Nigeria.

Why’s that Alan?

Essex UK

Lagos, Nigeria.

London

Good ones.

A little closer to home & a less positive reason it would be Prague. Our first night there I felt unwell & spent the majority of the weekend “checking out the bathroom design”. I must have picked up a bug at home before travelling. All in all I didn’t get to see much of Prague, so we need to go back & do it justice, because what I did see was great.

Essex UK

Ecuador and the Galápagos Islands – because I just loved it. The easiest country to stay well in that I’ve ever been to – because of the mountains they grow tropical fruit in the valleys and temporate veg on the mountainsides, so the variety of food is wonderful. Much of the walking is fairly high, so it works the heart and lungs but it’s not so high it’s impossbile. It’s beautiful. The Amazon rainforest is precious. And the people were lovely (I made friends I want to go back to see).

I would like to revist Easter Island, I found it a magical place and wish I had had more
time to explore it. We kept in touch with our guide there for quite some time, and were
thrilled when, unlike anyone else there, we had our passport stamped with the name,
as her boyfriend was the notary and she arranged it as a special treat.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message