Welcome to our forums.

W is for Windsor

Nice trip for your friends, I’ve done a similar trip, very enjoyable.

Essex UK

Thanks for these, Richard – two of my daughters lived in Langley for a couple of years, so we used to wander around Windsor a lot.

(Shame about Watford, though …)

No visit to Windsor would be complete without spending at least some time exploring Eton.

Windsor and Eton are effectively twin towns, separated by the River Thames…

…and joined together by Eton (Windsor Town) Bridge...

Once over the footbridge the historic town of Eton is both easy and a delight to explore…

…with a fascinating array of shops, restaurants and the odd mews…

Indeed, there can’t be many chemist shops in the United Kingdom that can display the Royal by Appointment seal…

JoCarroll wrote:

Great pictures, Richard – I’m looking forward to Watford …

Thank you for your kind comment @JoCarroll

Unfortunately I’m going to have to disappoint you on Watford: it was the ‘W’ in the ‘*footsteps of King Alfred’* that we took our German visitors.

Great pictures, Richard – I’m looking forward to Watford …

Last weekend my wife and I were entertaining some German friends whom we had met on one of our Haag-Lloyd cruises.

They had visited us last year and we had also attended their wedding in hamburg last July. On this visit we had a plan to show them a little more of England and it so happened that the places we were scheduled to visit were all under the letter ‘W’.

We met them at Heathrow at 08.05 on Friday and headed along the M4 to Windsor…

The idea came to us when we had heard from them on the day of the Royal Wedding: they were watching it all over in Germany.

Parking was relatively easy and after a light breakfast we were soon showing them around…

Windsor Royal Station…

The Royal Borough Museum with the adjacent ‘Crooked House’…

…before moving on to The Long Walk…

…and the reverse view towards the Castle…

…and the George IV Gateway Castle entrance…

Heading back into Windsor we really struck it lucky. We had arrived at the junction where the Irish Guards Memorial is situated…

…when we heard the music of the resident castle Guard Regiment, 2nd Battalion The Rifles…

I even had time to take a quick video, here’s the link…

How lucky was that: our guests were impressed.

Coming up: continue the walk through Windsor and over the Thames Bridge to Eton

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message