Welcome to our forums.

Bulgaria

It’s an amazing country. You should visit the complex Golden Sands. The night life there is on point

Well done Jo. Not sure I could have done it even 20 years ago.

London

The most knackering-but-wonderful way to get to the Rila Monastery is a 17-mile trek through the mountains (including a long downhill over grass which is full of tiny flowers – the tread wasn going on my boots so I slipped on my backside some often I lost counted, and ended up trying to maintain that I was down there to look at th flora). If you think of it like a pilgrimage it makes sense of walking that far – and the monastery finally appears through the trees and it’s so extraordinary that every step is worthwhile.

(Having said all that, it was 20years ago I did it. Not sure I could manage it now!)

The good quality hotels are situated at the north end of Sunny Beach towards St. Vlas whilst the good quality apartments are at Cacao Beach. In between is the main area of Sunny Beach which is a paradise for those in their teens, early 20’s and young families looking for a ‘care free’ holiday. Over the years we have seen the area expand and in most cases for the better.
This is a good video of the Cacao Beach area.

London

Fossil wrote:

Good morning Richard @Solent_Richard
Yes it was self catering. Can’t help you with supermarket prices as we usually eat out, the restaurants are excellent and we have our favourites for various dishes such as ‘Sash’; and ‘Kavarma’. The cost of water and electricity (no gas) for 12 days is about £8. Local buses 60p. 2 course meal with local wine for 2 varies between £13 – £20. Some of the Bulgarian wines are excellent. Pint of beer depending where you go varies between 40p – 90p a pint. If you go to our local beach, Cacao Beach, between mid June and early September and mix with the rich and famous at the bars and restaurants then the prices will double.

Thanks for the prompt response @Fossil

That’s all incredibly cheap.

We have taken a number of ‘self-catering’ villas in nearby Turkey but, like you, always eat out at night: madness not to at their prices.

I took a drive through the area using Google Map/street view.

Very interesting and quite a variety of hotels.

Food for thought but not before 2020 as we are now fully committed to both cruise and land holidays till then.

Last Edited by Solent_Richard at 05 Jun 08:50

Good morning Richard @Solent_Richard
Yes it was self catering. Can’t help you with supermarket prices as we usually eat out, the restaurants are excellent and we have our favourites for various dishes such as ‘Sash’; and ‘Kavarma’. The cost of water and electricity (no gas) for 12 days is about £8. Local buses 60p. 2 course meal with local wine for 2 varies between £13 – £20. Some of the Bulgarian wines are excellent. Pint of beer depending where you go varies between 40p – 90p a pint. If you go to our local beach, Cacao Beach, between mid June and early September and mix with the rich and famous at the bars and restaurants then the prices will double.

London

Fossil wrote:

Good morning Richard, I stayed in an apartment. Its a wonderful country of rivers, lakes, mountains and sea. The coast line from Balchik in the north to Akhtopol in the south is a mix of towns, villages and miles of soft sand. In the winter the ski resorts of Bansko and Pamporovo take over from the beaches. As @JoCarroll mentioned the Rila Monestry built high up in the Rila Mountains is the largest working monastery in Eastern Europe and is home to about 60 monks.

Good morning @Fossil

Was it ‘self catering’ and if so what are local food costs compared to say Turkey?

Thanks Gill @Cruzeroqueen1

London

Fossil wrote:

Fossil
15:01 03-Jun-18

This is a recent video I did on Nesebur alleged to be the oldest town in Europe going back to 6th century BC. A regular port stop on Black Sea cruises for Seaborn, Silversea and several others.

https://www.facebook.com/oldworldtraveller/videos/1767282346644203/?fref=ts

This is one taken from Cacao Beach often called the Ibiza of the Black Sea as during the season it is alive with bars, restaurants, discos etc. Each year it has a Grand Opening and in September a Grand Closing. 2 years ago it was closed by Fat Boy Slim.

https://www.facebook.com/oldworldtraveller/videos/vb.1073984259307352/1777334018972369/?type=2&theater

Really enjoyed those 2 videos, Alan @Fossil – as well as your review and pics. of Rila Monastery. We have a working Monastery quite near us, (Monastery del Virgen de Saliente) and it’s always a point of interest for our visitors.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

@Solent_Richard

Good morning Richard, I stayed in an apartment. Its a wonderful country of rivers, lakes, mountains and sea. The coast line from Balchik in the north to Akhtopol in the south is a mix of towns, villages and miles of soft sand. In the winter the ski resorts of Bansko and Pamporovo take over from the beaches. As @JoCarroll mentioned the Rila Monestry built high up in the Rila Mountains is the largest working monastery in Eastern Europe and is home to about 60 monks.

https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/review/attraction/151372-review-rila-monastery

London
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one