Welcome to our forums.

London

You can’t. I understand its practical value but I don’t have to like it

Essex UK

How are you able to repair buildings such as the Elizabeth Tower without the use of scaffolding?

London

Solent_Richard wrote:

My other pet hate is scaffolding around the buildings that are tourist attractions

My rule of travelling is that there is no building so beautiful or magnificent that it can’t be covered in scaffolding during my visit just to annoy me.

I will be dancing in the streets when “automatic scaffold removal” accompanies the “auto red eye removal” feature in photo editing software.

Essex UK

Welcome to the Forum @SilverMaggie
Like you I was born in London and lived in and around it all my life including the inner London post codes. I also spent most of my working life in London so know it fairly well. Most of the cranes have gone along with the demise of the docks. The only ones left, are those, as you point out, used in construction and soon they will be gone as the projects are completed. Along the river from Chelsea to Wapping large apartment buildings have replaced warehouses and old buildings that in my humble opinion exuded character. However, I was recently doing talks at Alexander Palace and have to admit the view from that location appears to have changed little over the decades. What has changed is the amount of traffic and the prices. House prices have rocketed, especially in the suburbs which is why so many people are moving out and selling to the highly paid young go getters.

London

SilverMaggie wrote:

I was born, and lived in and around London until my late teens. I have visited many times since then, but mainly for shows in the West End , or to visit a friend in Lewisham. This week, we decided to go to the London Boat Show; on approaching the Blackwall Tunnel to get to Excel, I just could not believe the number of cranes and building work that was going on. We are led to believe that there’s no money about, well, not in London!! I was truly fascinated!!

I’m afraid that a skyline of cranes has become the norm wherever in the world one travels.

As a keen photographer I’m forever looking for ‘angles’ to eliminate them.

My other pet hate is scaffolding around the buildings that are tourist attractions – particularly at the height of the tourist season.

I do love London and visit at least twice a month when not cruising, combining a day out with a chance to watch Chelsea’s evening games.

Welcome @SilverMaggie to our Silver Travel Forum – we hope that you enjoy being part of our friendly group of Silver Travellers. Please feel free to contact one of the moderators if you have any queries about using the Forum.

I never tire of visiting London, its always changing, there is always something new to see. I’m looking forward to going up next week to see the Lumber event.

Essex UK

It’s a wonderful, vibrant, multi-cultural city with so much to be proud of.

I really hope the rest of the country can join in – there is so much to celebrate in London and it’s essential that cities that are far away don’t get left out.

I was born, and lived in and around London until my late teens. I have visited many times since then, but mainly for shows in the West End , or to visit a friend in Lewisham. This week, we decided to go to the London Boat Show; on approaching the Blackwall Tunnel to get to Excel, I just could not believe the number of cranes and building work that was going on. We are led to believe that there’s no money about, well, not in London!! I was truly fascinated!!

8 Posts
Sign in to add your message