Welcome to our forums.

Genealogy and travel

I’ve been researching my family tree intermittently for many years now. Most of my ancestors were farming folk in the East Riding of Yorkshire but I’ve tracked down two who escaped!

My great uncle went to Australia as a young man and fought for the Australian Imperial Force. He was wounded in France twice before being killed in action on 4 April 1918. He is buried in Villers-Bretonneaux Military Cemetery, Somme which of course required a visit.

A great aunt left the UK as an 18 year old and travelled on a banana boat to Jamaica where she married a Scottish doctor. We visited Jamaica, the old plantation house where she lived and the family graveyard and met one of her surviving relatives.

Solent_Richard wrote:

But the greatest find I made was a photograph of one of my Great Grandfathers who, not unlike me, was a pioneering entrepreneur in his day…

Great photo Richard. I love old family photos, my oldest is one of my great grandfather when he joined the Met police in the mid 1800’s. I am sure we are now all wondering what you were a pioneering entrepreneur of.

London

Solent_Richard wrote:

the greatest find I made was a photograph of one of my Great Grandfathers

That was special, a great reward for your research.

Essex UK

Interesting subject.

I jumped on the Genealogy bandwagon back in 2003 armed with a computer and some software.

My journey in pursuit of relatives took me to the Family History Centre in London, Widnes, Leicester and Skegness in the UK and as far as San Diago in California.

But the greatest find I made was a photograph of one of my Great Grandfathers who, not unlike me, was a pioneering entrepreneur in his day…

He owned his own Steam Lorry.

Fossil. I can imagine that was a fascinating journey for yourself and all concerned. My research goes the other way, starting from the UK outwards to Canada, USA and Australia. My mother remembers a relative of hers coming to visit when she was a small girl who had emigrated, with her husband, to Canada.

Welcome to the forum @Norfolktraveller
Some years ago an American group was set up to trace their ancestors and my family line was traced back several hundred years. It was fascinating.

London

Coolonespa.

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I have quite a few stories about my research in genealogy which I will relate as I go.

Researching your own family tree is all absorbing, sometimes frustrating and, on occasion, absolutely rewarding. It teaches you history and geography both.

I began doing it after being made redundant from work and desperately needing a challenge for the brain. I am now custodian for the history of the family.

Welcome @Norfolktraveller to our Silver Travel Forum – we hope that you enjoy being part of our friendly group of Silver Travellers. Please feel free to contact one of the moderators if you have any queries about using the Forum.

Not done this myself but it sounds fascinating. Why not tell us about some of the gems you’ve uncovered on your search, bet it an interesting village or church……..

Essex UK

I don’t research my own genealogy, but do research places for my writing – which always throws up wonderful surprises. For instance, I discovered what a great city Liverpool is when trying to find out about the Irish ghettoes n the nineteenth century!

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message