The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - November 2017

I was going to post about the lovely walks we have in our local woods at Ogden Water near Halifax but i’ve just been reading the bear post by DRSask and have enjoyed it so much I now haven’t got time. What a trip!

@Kay9 – that’s a lot of rainforests you’ve visited! Any preference amongst Costa Rica, Borneo, Ecuador, Venezuela and Brazil?

I enjoy asking people if they prefer beaches, mountains, forests or lakes. I head for a mountain whenever I can, but it sounds like you definitely gravitate into the forest?

Hi Andrew
No zipwire in 94 when I went. Love rainforest and been to Borneo, Ecuador, Venezuela and Brazil.Im very lucky.

Driffield

Wow….thanks everyone for the brilliant comments. This book really seems to have struck a wooded chord with a lot of you.

@Kay9 (great name!) – couldn’t agree more about Costa Rica’s very special cloud forests. Did you do the zip tour high above the canopy?

@DRSask – memorable – and scary – bear stories in the woods!

@Susmal – thanks for making me laugh with your Alice in Wonderland badger adventure. What a great image!

@Kelpie – lovely memories of your Grandad teaching you woodcraft. I fear not so many children will be separated from their tech gadgets these days, in favour of all those woodland activities you enjoyed so much.

Keep those forest & wood anecdotes coming…..

My grandad used to take me to the woods across the road from the farm where I lived.He would bring a ball of bailing twine .We would look for three or four trees,growing quite close together.We would loop the twine round them and find broken branches with leaves on and plait them through the twine, to make a roof and bits of walls. All the time he would show me all sorts of interesting things,oak galls,beech mast,secret areas where toadstools were growing.We would examine leaves and he would ask if I remembered any, from the ones he had shown me before.We looked at the different bark on the trees and touched them and smelt them,peeping into gnarled wood that hid different insects.We listened to bird song and stood in the little den and watching to see if we could see any of the birds.The uplifting feeling that I get every time I go for a walk in the woods has just got better and better over the years.Children can be inspired for life by an interested adult who thought everything was fun.
Lincolnshire

A perfect book for my Grand children as they have the woods on their farm land & are always making dens, or collecting foliage to make things and they see deer, badgers & foxes. They know that the badgers & foxes are a threat to their lambs, but still appreciate them. Their love of nature is very strong & this book would enhance their young lives time in the woods.

We spend many enjoyable days out in the woods but one of the moist memorable was earlier this year. There are several entrances to badger setts in our woods and I was walking around one day trying to establish which, if any, had been recently used when the ground opened underneath me and I found myself waist deep inside the sett! Rather an ‘Alice in Wonderland’ experience. Nothing was injured other than my pride but I was worried that I would have scared them away. Luckily all was well. Although we haven’t been fortunate enough to see the badgers ourselves, a trail cam quickly showed that a pair of badgers are indeed in residence and over the last few months the camera has yielded some wonderful images of the badgers and their nightly excursions. They don’t seem to be too bothered about the hole in their roof!

Walking through Ballathie woods near Perth when the bluebells are flowering is truly magical. And the ancient trees are so beautiful. We are so lucky to have these places on our doorstep.

I would love to read this book as we adore walking in the woods, particularly in the Autumn with the lovely copper of the beech, and the yellowing of the larch as the needles fall down, and the oaks and ash all turning colourful too. We have stayed in the Forest of Dean area many times, and on one full day walk in November it was warm enough to picnic sitting on a stile, and we sat quietly eating, when a couple of fallow deer with one half grown young doe, crossed from the wood over the footpath near us, and down the wooded hillside, possibly never noticing us, and certainly not bothered by us. We always notice the snuffled up sides of the path as the wild boar root around the woodland. The Forest of Dean has the largest boar population in England but we have only ever glimpsed the russle of one moving away from us once.

Visiting the cloud rainforest in Costa Rica was amazing,seeing sloth and tamandua was breathtaking, just standing on a path absorbing the atmosphere,sounds was incredible but just watching the trees and the light reflecting through them …magical.
Even the small woods here in Autumn make me relaxed and happy.

Driffield
Sign in to add your message