Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - October 2017

@DRSask I can’t imagine Venice in the snow, even a light dusting. Sounds like an amazing trip!

I hardly dare return to Venice it was so perfect the first time. We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary there and although it was October it was sun and blue skies all the way. This brought out the glorious colours of the water and the architecture. We stayed on Giudecca and we able to lie in bed and watch the river traffic go past outside our window. At the other end of the day slightly weary from shopping and sight seeing we could sit with a prosecco and watch the sun go down over the lagoon from our balcony with all the splendour of intense colours again. It is my favourite place of any holiday I have had though I have to say I have not been on that many.

Thanks @telmel @paulinet @DRSask @obag for the great early responses to this month’s Silver Travel Book Club read, set in Venice. Rain seems to be a recurring theme!

My own memory of this unique city is somewhat foggy, seen through a childhood lens from more than 50 years ago. I can recall the Rialto Bridge and battling with the pigeons in St. Mark’s Square, but little else. I need to return with the benefit of age and relative wisdom, with my wife Gill, an open mind, out of season and with the sun in the sky.

Looking forward to hearing more memories of Venice on this Forum thread…keep them coming!

First time I visit Venice was on a Cruise, we arrived to driving rain and strong wind but decides to go ashore, our tour guide told us that the weather would pick up later and that by 2PM the sun would be out. At exactly 2PM the sun came out the rain stopped and we had a lovely few hours in Venice.

This sounds like a lovely light read as we get ready for fall and winter. I loved Venice and look forward to reading a story set in this magical city. We arrived in early evening to snowy Venice. Yes, snow. It was February. The next day started out cloudy. We took a water taxi to St. Mark’s Square and the Basilica San Marco and went to a demonstration of glass blowing and sculpture at the Murano factory. Though it’s too ornate for my taste it is beautiful craftsmanship. As the weather turned a bit wet (rain this time), we spent the rest of the morning in the Museums of St. Mark’s Square including the Doge’s Palace and crossed the Bridge of Sighs into the prison. After such a cool morning, a hot chocolate and pain chocolat were called for – sublime. That would be one of the things that would be happiness to me – the perfect combination of pain chocolat and hot chocolate. When we went back outside the sun was shining and so was Venice! The sky was blue and the water was even more so. We took a water taxi to Burano Island and its colourful painted houses and shops for a delicious seafood lunch and wandered around the shops in the afternoon. It was a delightful day.

I visited Venice on a day trip whilst staying on the Istrian peninsula in Croatia. There had been a terrific storm the previous night, and and the sea was still very rough. It was very hot on the boat, and that and the rough sea, made for a very uncomfortable trip. I remember going to stand outside on the deck hoping that the fresh air would make me feel less sick, and and my teenage daughter came and stood with me to keep me company. We finally docked in Venice, walked over a wooden bridge, and and I forgot all about the journey. I felt like I had walked into a Canaletto painting! It was magical. We then walked to St Mark’s, square and my daughter looked around and just said “Wow!” It isn’t often teenagers are impressed by such things, but I thought she summed it up perfectly!

I went many years ago, its a beautiful place but it tends to rain a lot , so take your umbrella

Welcome to the Silver Travel Book Club book of the month for October.

‘This isn’t a mid-life crisis, OK? For a start I’m not old enough yet to have one of those. I’m calling it a happiness project. I’ve stolen an entire summer from my life and by the time it’s over I plan to leave this place with a list in my hand. The ten things that make me happy, that’s all I want to know. How difficult can it be? They may be small things – a perfect cup of coffee, a day without rain – or bigger ones. It’s still the beginning so how can I know?‘

Addolorata Martinelli knows she should be happy. She has everything she thought she wanted – her own business, a husband, a child. So why does she feel as if something is missing? Then when her restaurant, Little Italy, is slated by a reviewer, she realises that she’s lost the one thing she thought she could always count on, her love of food.

So Addolorata heads to Venice for a summer alone, aiming to find the ten things that make her happy. Once she’s found them, she’ll construct a new life around her ten things, but will they include her life in London?

Thanks to TripFiction for that summary of the book. Sounds like fun, don’t you think…even if summer has just slipped past! And what better place for Silver Travellers to explore through literature than Venice?

We’d love to hear about your own memories of this unique city on this Forum thread – the best entries will win a copy of One Summer in Venice.

Happy reading and happy travels.

Andrew

48 Posts
Sign in to add your message