Welcome to our forums.

Listed buildings: New additions mark 70 years of preservation

Who paid for it. If it were the tax payers then it is appalling.

London

yes fossil, it’s the so-called gasholder park, next to the towpath along the regent’s park canal, near to king’s cross. although frankly, to call this lawn-sized piece of lawn a park is, imho, about as grotesque as the huge amount of money spent on dismantling gasholder number 8 from its original site on the far side of the canal, two years of restoration work, and finally rebuilding it in its current location.
!
?
. . .

London

Gas Holder Park, London?

London

perhaps i should make this into a “where am i” ?

does anyone else know where it is?

London

That’s interesting. Where’s that?

Essex UK

and “your starter for ten” ~ do you think the person/people sitting in the office where they made this decision have ever struggled firsthand with homelessness?

meanwhile . . .

London

I know we have some fascinating industrial heritage – but I don’t think we need to keep all of it.

And I think we need to think about how the land is most usefully occupied – I think the need for housing in London outweighs the interest in a gas holder at the Oval.

And there are industrial relics that can become living museums – the old railway village in Swindon is lived in. It needs a bit of tlc, but it’s still a useful space. The old railway works are an outlet village, with shops and old railway workings side by side. The railway museum is becoming more adventurous in offering events, and has a useful hall used for lectures, festivals etc. There’s still much that can be done – but Swindon is trying to make use of its railway heritage and provide for the needs of its residents.

But keeping a gas holder …. how is that anything but a relic?

Well, he says donning his anorak …..ESW did direct we to the gas museum in the Leicester area & that was an amazing step back in time. Plus it looks like a trip to Norfolk may be in order but I’m sorry Eleanor, if we have 3, the rest can go.

Essex UK

ESW wrote:

SW
13:59 09-Aug-17

What a load of heathens you all are!!!!! The industrial heritage of gas is sorely neglected compared with the rest of our industrial heritage. There are only three gas works preserved – Biggar in Scotalnd, Carrickfergus in Northern Ireland and Fakenham in Norfolk. They do actually make an interesting day out – the smells still linger

And surely that’s more than enough! And I’m afraid that if you think that they make an interesting day out, smells not withstanding…………(I would have been tempted to say “you need to get out more” but I know you do get out and about more than most, and normally I love all your ‘travels’ and wonderful photos! ).

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

What a load of heathens you all are!!!!! The industrial heritage of gas is sorely neglected compared with the rest of our industrial heritage. There are only three gas works preserved – Biggar in Scotalnd, Carrickfergus in Northern Ireland and Fakenham in Norfolk. They do actually make an interesting day out – the smells still linger….

ESW
Scunthorpe
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message