Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - June 2017

Yes, @AndrewMorris, we did get to Barter Books in Alnwich. It is an amazing place. My cousin had recommended it to us when she found out we were going to Northumberland and told us we had to see it. We spent most of the day at Alnwich Gardens starting with the Woodland Walk with its art exhibition and amazing views across the valley to the castle (pictured below) and ending with a tour of the Poison Garden. We also had fun exploring the treehouse and the water features in the gardens. When we headed into the town to find Barter Books the day was getting on. If we had started out at the book shop we likely wouldn’t have made it to the gardens! The old train station is a great venue and the added touch of the train tracks on the ceiling is fun for all ages. We definitely will be back and will spend more time reading and eating in the various rooms. The train on the ceiling reminded me of the shop at Cadbury World in Bournville, Birmingham.

Thanks @Teens for the thought-provoking post.

I saw the movie of The Girl on the Train, but haven’t read the book yet. And based on your thoughts, I’m not sure I’m going to enjoy Into the Water, but I’ve got an open mind. Great photo of the book cover, by the way….is that the Tyne from your back garden in Wylam, by any chance? Nice Drowning Pool in the background.

I have just started reading Into the Water myself, and will post a few thoughts as I turn the pages.

Thanks @Fossil – great question:

For the benefit of the members perhaps you could tell them what the criteria is for selecting the book of the month and who selects it.”

Our first Silver Travel Book Club (“STBC”) selection was Rosanna Ley’s The Little Theatre by the Sea. We chose this because new Silver Travel partner TripFiction had just also selected this one for their own book club, because TripFiction could get hold of another couple of copies from the publisher as a "giveaway for lucky Silver Travellers, and because Rosanna writes great “destination novels.” Little Theatre is based in Sardinia (and Dorset, where Rosanna lives), so the destinations is always going to be part of the decision making process.

The criteria for future STBC book choices is likely to be along similar lines:

1. destination – is it based somewhere that will engage the imagination of Silver Travellers?
  1. is it a good read? Whilst destination is important, so is good writing!
  1. can we get hold of free copies from the publishers to give as prizes to lucky Silver Travellers?

And who selects the STBC book of the month? That is Debbie and I working together with @Teens of TripFiction at the moment, but we’re very happy to take suggestions from the floor. And we’ve also been approached recently by a writer of a very successful series of books based in Greece. The author’s back-story is appropriate for Silver Travellers too. Watch this space…..

Happy reading and happy travelling.

Andrew

I’m looking forward to reading your reviews and finding out where you’ve got to.

ESW
Lincolnshire

ESW wrote:

now I’ve been in inspired by all the posts to spend some time there at some point in the future…..
You really must David. Northumberland has the lot! Have a look here….

Thanks for that Eleanor, a great read, as are all of your reviews. We have decided we will go this year even if it is just for a mid-week break…

Bedford

Barrowman wrote:

now I’ve been in inspired by all the posts to spend some time there at some point in the future…..

You really must David. Northumberland has the lot! Have a look here….

ESW
Lincolnshire

What a great thread and this is turning out to be, Northumberland is a place I’ve passed by on many occasions and now I’ve been in inspired by all the posts to spend some time there at some point in the future…..

Bedford

Well @AndrewMorris my cover is well and truly blown! :)
I stopped by to see what everyone was saying about my home turf, which just happens to be the backdrop for Into The Water. I was really curious to know what book no. 2 would be like, the success of The Girl on the Train was so phenomenal. How do you follow up on that? I saw Paula Hawkins talking at Hay Festival and she said she had little to do with the film and even had her cameo part cut out! So, what did I think of Into the Water? It is very different, and because drownings and death are at the heart of the story, I can honestly say it is the first novel I can recall that feels quite monochrome, which reflects the tragic subject matter (a bit like watching a bw film rather than a colour film). And she recreates the eddy of the Drowning Pool in the way she lays out the story. Northumberland is certainly the backdrop, but it is not a character per se in the novel. It is certainly interesting read but it won’t have the wide appeal of TGOTT. Who has read it, what did you think?
Really enjoying our new partnership with Silver Travel Advisor and I know that there are some AMAZING reads in the pipeline!

Hi Andrew @AndrewMorris
For the benefit of the members perhaps you could tell them what the criteria is for selecting the book of the month and who selects it.
Fossil

London

Thanks @Teens for such an insightful post about life in Northumberland, and for the great photo of Wylam on the Tyne. In the sunshine too!

And I’m going to out you to the Silver Travel community, Teens – “Tina” – as the co-founder of TripFiction, the brilliant website with whom Silver Travel has just forged an exciting partnership.

Books and travel go hand in hand, so this promises to be a perfect marriage and I hope it brings much pleasure for Silver Travellers.

Thanks again, Tina. I know you have already got a copy of Into the Water, and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the book. I wonder how it will portray rural Northumberland……?

Andrew

Sign in to add your message