Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - June 2017

@AndrewMorris, I finally was able to finish the book yesterday and loved the ending. It took me a while to get into the story, I think because of the frequent switches from character to character and keeping them all straight in relation to each other. The story is well-crafted and you realize as you get further along, where clues were that were key. I see how the location is so important with the drowning pool and the cottage. What was missing for me was recognizable elements of Northumberland as a county. However, if you are familiar with the immediate locales in the book it would be more meaningful.

Thanks for the opportunity to read this page turner :).

Phew @DRSask – glad your copy of Into the Water has arrived safely across the pond, Denise.

I have just finished reading the book, and found myself turning the pages faster and faster as the plot unfolded.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the characters, the writing style and how believable you find the various Drowning Pool stories….

Happy reading.

Andrew

Just received my copy of Into the Water @AndrewMorris, thank you! It looks like it will be a real page-turner so I’ll have to set aside some time to devote to it with no interruptions.

@AndrewMorris, I haven’t received the book yet as it has a bit further to travel to get to me in Canada. I’m looking forward to it transporting me back into that lovely country. Meanwhile I have been watching Alex Polizzi’s Secret Italy and enjoying that very much – some places I’ve been to like Capri and others I haven’t, like Sicily. The scenery is always magical.

@DRSask and @Sararose – have you started reading Into the Water yet? Are you enjoying it?

I am enjoying the book more as I get to know the multiple characters recounting their role in this psychological mystery. I’m still not sure I like this episodic writing style, but I do think it is technically well written and I can feel myself being sucked into the vortex of the author’s drowning pool.

I can understand now exactly what Tina @Teens from TripFiction was saying in her excellent review:

The book is constructed like a circular eddy, reflecting the motion of the water in the Drowning Pool – the characters, too, go round in circles, and can descend into a troublesome mêlée of characters who chew over the cud, struggle with relationships and show their violent natures.

I’ve still got no idea where the plot is going though!

Let me know what you think of Into the Water….and have you read The Girl on the Train, the huge best-seller, also written by Paula Hawkins?

Happy reading.

Andrew

Congratulations to Sally Hill and Denise Bridge, the lucky winners of The Silver Travel Book Club monthly competition for June.

A copy of “Into the Water” by Paula Hawkins will be winging its way to their doorsteps very soon.

I’m looking forward to hearing what they think of the novel. It is certainly very different to the author’s huge bestseller “The Girl on the Train”.

Happy reading, Sally & Denise.

Andrew

Thanks @Teens for your comment about Paula Hawkins’ follow-up challenge with “Into The Water”, and for the link to your excellent review on TripFiction.

I must admit I’m struggling a little to dive fully into the book. I haven’t made as much progress as I’d like, and I think that’s because of the writing style. It’s impressive that the author writes from so many characters’ viewpoints – thanks for counting all of them! – but that somehow diffuses the focus for me. And although it is set in a fictional Northumberland town, the sense of location isn’t very strong, is it?

Nevertheless, I can feel myself being pulled into Ms Hawkins’ clever authorly clutches as little pieces of the plot start to be revealed.

I look forward to reading along with our two lucky Silver Travel Book Club readers, who will be announced shortly. Watch this space….

Not long now before the two copies of “Into The Water” will be going out to the lucky winners! Hope you enjoy the book!

In the meantime I thought I might post my review of the book on this thread… it must be so hard to create a novel after the phenomenal success of The Girl On The Train. Where do you go? What do you write about? What are your expectations as an author? Anyway, here are my thoughts: http://www.tripfiction.com/novel-set-in-northumberland/

Have you read it yet? What do you think?

What a delightful thread this is turning out to be, all started by a book. I love where discussions can go….

Wonderful photos too, @DRSask and @barrowman, yes definitely come for a visit, there are some wonderful spots and beautiful scenery (and I am not paid by the Northumberland Tourist Board!). Happy travels to everyone from either your armchair with a good book or actual travels!!

@Barrowman wrote:

We have decided we will go this year even if it is just for a mid-week break…

When you think of somewhere to stay David, here’s a piece that mentions 3 places I’ve been to:

https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/destination-features-england/northumberland-a-wizard-place-to-visit-all-year-round

Eleanor has done a more detailed review on each one.

@DRSask wrote:

amazing views across the valley to the castle (pictured below)

Agreed, its an amazing place, love the picture.

Essex UK
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message