Welcome to our forums.

Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos

coolonespa wrote:

only allows you to scratch the surface of their culture,

….& talking of that. Its an early start to watch Tak Bat, the giving of alms to the monks, which was very informative but has sadly become a bit of a tourist attraction. That’s good for the monks, as their main diet of plain boiled rice is often supplemented with some tastier goodies from the tourists but I fear many of the tourists taking part had little idea of what it was all about (or cared). We chose to stand well back & observe the ritual & take our photos using the zoom, so not always great shots in poor light, but it seemed a much more respectful thing to do.

I do have one shot of a tourist staring after a child monk whilst a bit of a surprised look on her face, almost as if he’d said something that shocked her. He didn’t though, so I’d love to know what happened. I won’t post it for the lady’s sake, not a very flattering pic.

Essex UK

You’re right, when often your visit only allows you to scratch the surface of their culture, it’s often difficult to understand the background & subtleties of some of the behaviour.

Essex UK

coolonespa wrote:

I found that whole “capturing of little birds thing” in Laos a bit troublesome but its hard to be judgemental when so many of the are scarping a living any way they can. At least the aim is to release them.

Agreed, Steve – there are many aspects of other cultures that make me feel uncomfortable (bullfighting in Spain was all over the TVs in cafes in Madrid, publicly slitting the throats of goats during a festival in Nepal) but I feel I can’t challenge as I simply don’t understand enough about them. And then there are practices I do try to question when I’m there – such as child marriage, FGM, the rights of girls to an education.

@JoCarroll wrote:

’m sure you didn’t take a little bird with you

I found that whole “capturing of little birds thing” in Laos a bit troublesome but its hard to be judgemental when so many of the are scarping a living any way they can. At least the aim is to release them.

@GDB1 wrote:

great shot of the staircase

Thanks Graham. Where did you take that great Toad shot?

@Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

Please don’t denigrate toads

Nice to see your sense of humour is still as strong as ever Gill

Essex UK

Oh heck, sorry if I’ve upset toad-lovers!

JoCarroll wrote:

Absolutely, Steve – I think most people still don’t know quite how much of a lying toad he w

Please don’t denigrate toads, @JoCarroll – they are lovelyt, as @GDB1 photo shows

Last Edited by Cruzeroqueen1 at 25 Oct 15:55
Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

… great shot of the staircase @coolonespa … I noted @JoCarroll ‘s comment on ’lying toads’….this one is lying down and I think better looking than the one she was referring to…?

I went up this, too – I’m sure you didn’t take a little bird with you (nor did I!).

One for @Solent-Richard_1 particularly…..I climbed the 329 steps to the top of Phu Si (100m hill) for panoramic views of the city (somewhat marred by the farmers burning the fields ready to plant their rice, causing a permanent mist which enveloped the surrounding mountains).

Apart from the views:

This is what you find at the top:

Essex UK

Absolutely, Steve – I think most people still don’t know quite how much of a lying toad he was.

Sign in to add your message