Welcome to our forums.

Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos

After an initial look at the goings on at the Main Street, we too drifted to the back streets to discreetly observe the locals taking part, a much more authentic experience and the people who watched here were much more respectful.

Interesting insight Alan & Graham, thank you for sharing that. It’s something I need to have a deeper look at.

Essex UK

…yes @Fossil I have similar views on the Five Precepts…. the eight and ten precept versions are a little too strict and unnecessary for me.
These precepts have a great affinity with the Commandments in the Christian religion, and whilst I have no problem telling people that I am totally atheist, I do my best to use these rules for daily life. Along with the well known… ‘do unto others, etc’ which pervades nearly all of the major religions, I think the world would be an infinitely better place if we all abided by them……
Here endeth GDB1’s first epistle to all the nice people of STA.

Several years ago I visited a Buddhist Temple and started taking an interest in Buddhism. Their basic belief seemed to fit in with what I already believed and have since tried to live my life by the Five Precepts. I then discovered that my Yoga teacher of the time was a Buddhist. I would love to learn more especially in the land of its conception, perhaps one day I can amalgamate it with a Yoga trip.

London

That also made me fell uncomfortable – it is so selfish and disrespectfult, but unfortunately that seems to be more of the norm these days.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

I saw this and it bothered me, too – someone set up and iPad so he could film himself giving rice to the monks – it felt like too many tourists wanting selfies with monks without really thinking what the whole thing is about. But round the corner were two local women giving them food and the monks stopped and smiled at them with genuine gratitude.

coolonespa wrote:

only allows you to scratch the surface of their culture,

….& talking of that. Its an early start to watch Tak Bat, the giving of alms to the monks, which was very informative but has sadly become a bit of a tourist attraction. That’s good for the monks, as their main diet of plain boiled rice is often supplemented with some tastier goodies from the tourists but I fear many of the tourists taking part had little idea of what it was all about (or cared). We chose to stand well back & observe the ritual & take our photos using the zoom, so not always great shots in poor light, but it seemed a much more respectful thing to do.

I do have one shot of a tourist staring after a child monk whilst a bit of a surprised look on her face, almost as if he’d said something that shocked her. He didn’t though, so I’d love to know what happened. I won’t post it for the lady’s sake, not a very flattering pic.

Essex UK

You’re right, when often your visit only allows you to scratch the surface of their culture, it’s often difficult to understand the background & subtleties of some of the behaviour.

Essex UK

coolonespa wrote:

I found that whole “capturing of little birds thing” in Laos a bit troublesome but its hard to be judgemental when so many of the are scarping a living any way they can. At least the aim is to release them.

Agreed, Steve – there are many aspects of other cultures that make me feel uncomfortable (bullfighting in Spain was all over the TVs in cafes in Madrid, publicly slitting the throats of goats during a festival in Nepal) but I feel I can’t challenge as I simply don’t understand enough about them. And then there are practices I do try to question when I’m there – such as child marriage, FGM, the rights of girls to an education.

@JoCarroll wrote:

’m sure you didn’t take a little bird with you

I found that whole “capturing of little birds thing” in Laos a bit troublesome but its hard to be judgemental when so many of the are scarping a living any way they can. At least the aim is to release them.

@GDB1 wrote:

great shot of the staircase

Thanks Graham. Where did you take that great Toad shot?

@Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

Please don’t denigrate toads

Nice to see your sense of humour is still as strong as ever Gill

Essex UK

Oh heck, sorry if I’ve upset toad-lovers!

Sign in to add your message