Welcome to our forums.

Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos

Continuing the Buddha theme. Our ride up the Mekong from Luang Prabang included stops at the Pak Ou caves to see the hundreds of Buddha statues hidden here to keep them safe from the looting Chinese Haw:

Essex UK

Nor mine.

At first glance I thought the flaking paint around the chin line looked like a 5 o’clock shadow. There were signs outside though that said this temple was shortly due to begin restoration work.

Essex UK

Wouldn’t fit on my desk either.

London

He’s wonderful – wouldn’t fit on my balcony but maybe there’s a silver traveller who could find a corner for something this huge!

Wat Wisunarat (Wat Visoun) in Luang Prabang is the home to this giant Buddha:

Essex UK

I’ve got a little meditation Buddha that used to be in my garden and is now on my balcony – I have always been able to see it inside and it’s my general reminder to just ‘chill’!

I also liked the saying of Jerry Springer “Look after yourself and each other”. It promoted in my mind a sense of helping others hence perhaps explains my like of the saying by the Rev. Jesse Jackson of “Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up”. My other was that of Ghandi “Be the change that you wish to see in the world” indicating to me that by being kind and respectful it will influence others although at times I think I am failing. To me this all fits into the Buddhist religion.

This is my office Buddha in what is known as the protection pose. Did you know that different poses represent different things!!!
http://www.thebuddhagarden.com/buddha-poses.html

London

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

I echo Dave Allen’s closing words ‘May YOUR God go with you’.

Agreed – which is, surely, why we need to respect ceremonies like this from a distance and not see it as tourist attraction.

What a brilliant debate this has turned into.

Essex UK

…. yes, it seems to fly in the face of everything Buddhism @JoCarroll @Cruzeroqueen1 …. unfortunately whilst that very special lady now runs the country that we know as Burma, it is generally accepted that she doesn’t control the military, whom she did oust….. in theory!
I am not sure that the human rights violations, to Muslims and others, has changed a great deal. My view is that theocracies, autocracies, military juntas, etc., that have the immense power implicit in these types of governance, always abuse the minorities and forget the basics of ‘right and wrong’ which all religions, to be fair, try to drum into us……..ultimate power will always corrupt.

Sign in to add your message