Welcome to our forums.

Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

I echo Dave Allen’s closing words ‘May YOUR God go with you’.

Agreed – which is, surely, why we need to respect ceremonies like this from a distance and not see it as tourist attraction.

What a brilliant debate this has turned into.

Essex UK

…. yes, it seems to fly in the face of everything Buddhism @JoCarroll @Cruzeroqueen1 …. unfortunately whilst that very special lady now runs the country that we know as Burma, it is generally accepted that she doesn’t control the military, whom she did oust….. in theory!
I am not sure that the human rights violations, to Muslims and others, has changed a great deal. My view is that theocracies, autocracies, military juntas, etc., that have the immense power implicit in these types of governance, always abuse the minorities and forget the basics of ‘right and wrong’ which all religions, to be fair, try to drum into us……..ultimate power will always corrupt.

JoCarroll wrote:

JoCarroll
09:34 28-Oct-17

I’m also in the edge-of-Buddhism camp. There’s so much of it that makes sense to me.

Which makes no sense at all of why they are persecuting Muslims in Myanma

I call myself a ‘born again agnostic’. I think there is something bigger and better than us ‘out there’, but with regard to the mainstream religions, many have been ‘corrupted’ along the way. If I had to choose one, I also would veer towards Buddhism. If you take ‘religion’ out of the 10 Commandments, they are good rules for community living, and has been said, the Five Precepts are excellent guidelines. Above all, I echo Dave Allen’s closing words ‘May YOUR God go with you’.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

I’m also in the edge-of-Buddhism camp. There’s so much of it that makes sense to me.

Which makes no sense at all of why they are persecuting Muslims in Myanmar.

After an initial look at the goings on at the Main Street, we too drifted to the back streets to discreetly observe the locals taking part, a much more authentic experience and the people who watched here were much more respectful.

Interesting insight Alan & Graham, thank you for sharing that. It’s something I need to have a deeper look at.

Essex UK

…yes @Fossil I have similar views on the Five Precepts…. the eight and ten precept versions are a little too strict and unnecessary for me.
These precepts have a great affinity with the Commandments in the Christian religion, and whilst I have no problem telling people that I am totally atheist, I do my best to use these rules for daily life. Along with the well known… ‘do unto others, etc’ which pervades nearly all of the major religions, I think the world would be an infinitely better place if we all abided by them……
Here endeth GDB1’s first epistle to all the nice people of STA.

Several years ago I visited a Buddhist Temple and started taking an interest in Buddhism. Their basic belief seemed to fit in with what I already believed and have since tried to live my life by the Five Precepts. I then discovered that my Yoga teacher of the time was a Buddhist. I would love to learn more especially in the land of its conception, perhaps one day I can amalgamate it with a Yoga trip.

London

That also made me fell uncomfortable – it is so selfish and disrespectfult, but unfortunately that seems to be more of the norm these days.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

I saw this and it bothered me, too – someone set up and iPad so he could film himself giving rice to the monks – it felt like too many tourists wanting selfies with monks without really thinking what the whole thing is about. But round the corner were two local women giving them food and the monks stopped and smiled at them with genuine gratitude.

Sign in to add your message