Welcome to our forums.

Chile.....the long, skinny country - any recommended itineraries, please?

I wonder if the @JustRetiring person actually finish the trip…

Everything booked now. Accommodation outside San Pedro so we will see the night skies without light pollution.
Sent off my contacts form to Hurtigruten. Have to pay the rest of the cost to them in August.
Also sorted out insurance. I switched banks to LLoyds. For 19 pounds a month I get travel insurance, A.A. and my phone is insured.
Just the rest of the clothes to get, more thermals, inner socks and hopefully will borrow ski pants.
All good. Now off to Malta to visit family.

Exeter. UK.

have a great journey enjoy your life when you back at your home please share your journey images with all friend we are waiting

USA

Planning is going ahead. Our flights are booked. London to Santiago direct with B.A. 14.5 hours, so good not to have to change flights. I am flying ahead of my friend Sue as I have tagged on three nights on Easter Island, flights and a cabina booked, two whole days so recommended tours really welcome.

Then back to Santiago to meet up with Sue. Three nights, two days there then a night in Valparaiso before the Antartica trip. Have bought most of my kit for that trip in the Feb. sales. Wish I had bought it all but was shopped out!!!

When we return we are planning to fly straight to Calama and get up to San Pedro that evening, giving ourselves four nights, three full days there. Looking at flights this week and also at accommodation.

Any tips on dealing with cockroaches? I hate them and understand Easter Island has a roach problem.

I would love to have visited the Lake District and Chiloe but time and money are limited and the Hurtigruten trip includes flights to and from Patagonia.

Exeter. UK.

Thanks for that @Cruzeroqueen1

London

GypsyWanderer wrote:

GypsyWanderer
13:51 27-Jan-19

Thank you for your prompt reply and all your suggestions. Really helpful. Because we are going to Antartica we will have the layers, etc.

It will be 3 days in Santiago, the first recovering from jet lag I suspect so whatever we can fit in. The fourth day will be a trip to Valparaiso.

Our trip is Nov into Dec and I am not sure yet which way we will do it, Santiago first then Antartica followed by the rest, especially if we go to Chiloe. I am reading ‘Maya’s Notebook by Isabel Allende which is why I would like to include Chiloe.

Did you go to Easter Island?

I went to Easter Island in 2007 as part of a cruise entitled ‘In The Wake Of The Bounty’. Flew first to LA then on to Tahiti, visiting Bora Bora, Rangiroa, Pitcairn Island, 2 days on Easter Island, Robins Cruisoe Island, disembarking in Valparaiso and taking a coach for a 2 day stay in Santiago before heading back to UK.

A friend on the ship had been in touch with someone who lives on Easter Island, so she, I, and 2 others did our own tour with Isabel, who was lovely. We saw most of the Moai, volcano craters, very old cave-type houses, and the countryside in general, which was great. Isabel even brought us sandwiches and drinks. We went with her again the next morning and covered the rest of the island, and she took us to show her house, plus to meet her daughter Tanya who worked in the local courthouse, and had photographs taken there, and passport stamped by the Notary, which apparently most unusual. I thought it a wonderful place, with a very special atmosphere, and can heartily recommend it.
Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Thank you for your prompt reply and all your suggestions. Really helpful. Because we are going to Antartica we will have the layers, etc.

It will be 3 days in Santiago, the first recovering from jet lag I suspect so whatever we can fit in. The fourth day will be a trip to Valparaiso.

Our trip is Nov into Dec and I am not sure yet which way we will do it, Santiago first then Antartica followed by the rest, especially if we go to Chiloe. I am reading ‘Maya’s Notebook by Isabel Allende which is why I would like to include Chiloe.

Did you go to Easter Island?

Exeter. UK.

Thanks for that @ESW great information.

London

Lucky you! What are you planning to do in the four days in Santiago as you might find there isn’t enough to occupy you for that length of time.

Check out the different tours from San Pedro de Atacama and decide which ones you want to do.

If you haven’t seen geysers before, the trip to El Tatio is a must. You leave early as you need to be at the geyser field at dawn to see the steam rising. It is a magical site. This is also 14000’ feet. By 10am the air has warmed up and you can’t see anything. Be warned it will be bitterly cold at dawn and you will need every layer you have. Some tours bring you back with a stop at the Puritama hot springs, getting back mid afternoon. Others are a full day and include a couple of the small villages before returning to San Pedro. We did the short trip but the next year decided to do a full trip round the villages with our own driver and guide.

Another must is the full day trip to the salt flats with flamingoes. This then takes you to the altiplanic lagoons of Miscanti and Miniques.
Pictures from 2008.
Pictures from 2010
This is the trip that takes you seriously high up to 15,000+’ and there is a bit of walking involved, so it makes sense to do this at the end of your stay.

The afternoon trip to the Valley of the Moon and watching the sunset over the mountains is magical.

There is also a morning archaeological trip to the fort of Quitor and the 3000 year old village of Tulor and also the archaeological museum in San Pedro. The museum is well worth a visit and a guide is helpful.

We also did an evening Star Gazing trip. The night sky is amazing as there is no light pollution. Being the southern hemisphere we didn’t recognise many constellations (and they were upside down too!)

The first visit we were part of a small group tour to each of the places. The second visit we asked for out own guide and driver. All the tours were booked for us by Audley Travel who organised the trip. I’m assuming all these trips are still running – they may have changed since we were there. There were lots of tour guide offices based in San Pedro and you an always walk in and ask them to book you on a tour. Alternatively your hotel may do this.

The first day you probably want to take it easy to adjust to the altitude. So you are probably looking at four days.

I can’t help with accommodation on Chiloe but understand it has improved since we were in Chile!

ESW
Lincolnshire

A friend and I are going to Antartica next Nov. flying into Santiago then on down to Punto Arenas to pick up the ship. As we will see a lot of Patagonia I have not included that in my Chile stay but hope to explore Santiago and the Atacama Desert. We are thinking 4 nights in Santiago then on by sleeper bus to San Pedro but how many nights there? And is there anywhere else we really must fit in?

Thanks re tip about altitude. I was hospitalised twice in Peru so will go loaded up with altitude tablets.

We would like to visit Chiloe island if possible. Any tips on accommodation there?

Exeter. UK.
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message