Welcome to our forums.

Which do you prefer - hotel, villa or apartment?

That’s a very nice tip @coolonespa

Hunter wrote:

unter
12:11 14-Jan-20

They all have good points, but now I am older I do prefer a hotel where I can enjoy a bit of pampering!
Having said that, last October gone, we did stay in a great apartment – part of La Casa de las Chimeneas in Cantabria near Potes. Even had a swimming pool with view of mountains. Pic also of a house up the lane with a great view!

Loved those photos @Hunter – a few years ago OH visited Potes whilst climbing in Los Picos and loved it. He was particularly
impressed with the graveyard as there was hardly anyone under 90 buried there, so the mountain air is obviously very good
for longetivity!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

They all have good points, but now I am older I do prefer a hotel where I can enjoy a bit of pampering!
Having said that, last October gone, we did stay in a great apartment – part of La Casa de las Chimeneas in Cantabria near Potes. Even had a swimming pool with view of mountains. Pic also of a house up the lane with a great view!

Chichester

All good points and welcome @Oggy to our Silver Travel Forum – we hope that you enjoy being part of our friendly group of Silver Travellers. Please feel free to contact one of the moderators if you have any queries about using the Forum.

Essex UK

I prefer staying in a hotel as I like to be looked after. It is nice to get up in the morning and know that a breakfast is available without having to look for somewhere to eat, especially if the weather is poor and you need an early start to the day. Also, if you arrive late or in the early hours of the morning, there is usually someone on duty at a hotel to provide a snack or a meal. If you have mobility problems, hotels usually make provision for this. Usually, tea/coffee is available in a hotel, so you don’t have to bring refreshments with you. Most of all, after a busy day touring, it is nice to get back to the hotel, use its amenities and sit down to a nice meal and enjoy the evening entertainment.

It depends on what sort of holiday you are looking for and the two do not need to be mutually exclusive. For a relaxing holiday, when privacy is important and we expect to spend a lot of time in and around our accommodation, a villa holiday is preferable. But when simply looking for a comfortable base in a central location, hotels are often a better choice. This coming year, we will be spending our main holiday in a villa on the Maltese island of Gozo; but, because the villa and flight dates have slipped out of sync, we will spend our final night at a hotel in Malta’s capital Valletta. This is great because, whilst we always visit Valletta on a day trip from Gozo, we will now be able to experience it at night; and indulge in some of the ‘extras’ that a hotel stay provides. Our last short break in the Rock Hotel, Gibraltar was a fantastic experience, far removed from our usual self-catering ventures – but it is impossible to rate one higher than the other.

@johnh2020 wrote:

It really depends on the budget you can afford

Its a key point. Not just the cost of the accommodation but the type of facilities available e..g. last year we stayed in various AirBnb accommodation, all with kitchens. We found the price of food in the USA very expensive, but being able to cook some of our own meals made the overall road trip affordable.

Essex UK

Hotels for holidays, preferably RIU, and cruise ships for work.

London

I like hotels that are central to the main sights, especially if I am doing a city break and only have a few days. I like the idea of knowing I can return to the hotel easily. I prefer hostels for hiking trips in the countryside as most people are there for the same reason. Finances play a part and if its a choice between a hostel or not going then I will stay in a hostel.

Hotel for me every time. If I’m on holiday, I don’t want to have to lift a finger!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message