Welcome to our forums.

What is it?

Is it pool or man made pond where they grow something. I’m sure I’ve seen something like this in Hampshire where they grow cress or something like that.

Essex UK

They look like disused tracks of some kind – but not on the ground (so not for trains) and not high enough to be some sort of steep funicular. I wonder if they had some sort of hanging thing that carried goods from a mine (say) to railway siding.

(I’m struggling here – you can tell!)

It’s been a while since I lasted posted a challenge. What are these?

ESW
Scunthorpe

Well done. It is a Chrismatory in Norwich Cathedral. The three vials contain the Holy oils used to anoint the sick or dying, for use in baptism and for use in the ordination of priest and consecration of bishops.

ESW
Scunthorpe

Is it lamp oil in the containers and is it used in a church

London

You are so very nearly there, but it isn’t water…

ESW
Scunthorpe

They look like bottle of liquid lit from above. So it could be a display of some type, perhaps bottles of holy water with some significance or the liquid helps diffuse the light, enter to amplify it of give it colour?

Essex UK

It’s a while since we had a challenge…. What is this?

ESW
Scunthorpe

Yippee I got one!

Essex UK

Well researched Coolonespa. The glacier should have been a real give away.

The following information was taken from this website:

Once the longest span in Iceland, the Skeiðará Bridge comprised a portion of the Icelandic ring road. The bridge carried drivers across the Skeiðarár Sandur, a wide plain of black volcanic sand marbled with creeks of run-off from the Skeiðarárjökull glacier.

In 1996, the volcano Vatnajökull, which sat beneath Skeiðarárjökull, erupted, melting portions of glacier and creating massive floods. While the girder bridge was built to withstand a hefty amount of flood waters, there was no preparing for the house-sized icebergs that the floods washed down the plain. A number of these glacial shards crashed into the bridge, wiping it out and creating a gap in the main ring road around Iceland.

All that remains of the original bridge today are two twisted girders by the side of the new road. They form a unique monument to the lovely but powerful beauty of Iceland’s natural landscape.

ESW
Scunthorpe
Sign in to add your message