The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Better weather = more stay at home holidays?

Its good for our local economies!

Northumberland

Went down to the shops at Seascale today, and the car park was packed…..very rare in all the years we lived there. A former neighbour said that she’s been sitting outside watching children playing in the water every day through the heat wave…..about 3 years ago, I walked the dog there on August BH Monday, and counted all the people I could see on the beach, looking north and south, a distance of about 4 miles. It was just over 50. I reckon the numbers are almost double that.

Last Edited by unknown at 18 Mar 16:49
Nr. Seascale, Cumbria

The local beaches have been packed in recent weeks! Not sure what proportion are day trippers, locals or those coming for a few days. The area relies heavily on foreign students. At least they bring money into the are. Unlike many day trippers who bring their own picnics, deck chairs use the local loos and leave behind their rubbish…… No wonder my council tax is so high!

Kent
Will do. mini cruise on Braemar coming up soon too!

Don’t know if you have been on Braemar before but I did a Canary’s cruise on her in March and really enjoyed it. Hope you do to.

First time on her. Hopefully I’ll like her!

Kent

Yes Jo, its. the same here, this week there are even more tourists. A couple of friends own holiday cottages and they are being told the same as some of our B&B owners that its insecurity, fear of job losses that are preventing many from booking up holidays in advance, people seem worried about making the commitment. They are leaving it to the last minute, then the good weather comes along and they decide to stay at home. It is interesting that people are just booking a few days, rather than a week or two weeks, which again is probably due to financial insecurity. Our number of day trippers has also soared, probably from people who have decided not to have a holiday but just take day trips. So I guess it isn’t entirely the weather that has created this increase in our tourism, its a combination of weather and financial insecurity!

Northumberland

The past 3 weeks have been glorious, but the weather broke the other day, and I feel sorry for those under canvas who’ve had to put up with some pretty heavy downpours.
The question of stay-cations arose back in spring, when our local inns were suddenly overwhelmed by the number of guests looking for short breaks. They were telling the landlords that they would normally have had a week’s skiing, or a break in the sun, but because of job insecurity, they were making do with a few days at home. Notice- it wasn’t job losses as such; the insecurity of many is because of the fear of the future.

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria

Don’t know if you have been on Braemar before but I did a Canary’s cruise on her in March and really enjoyed it. Hope you do to.

London
Have a good time Mungo. Hope the Silver Travel Bag is going with you so that we can add a picture of it to the main site.

Kent

Have a good time Mungo. Hope the Silver Travel Bag is going with you so that we can add a picture of it to the main site.

London
The lakes are beautiful Mungo but notoriously wet…fingers crossed for you for good weather.

Thank you!

Waterproofs are packed!

Kent
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message