Welcome to our forums.

Caribbean Islands - is there variety?

WillamParks wrote:

In some aspects these islands are unique from one another. For instance in st john once visitors arrive, they’ll find gorgeous, sun-baked beaches, a massive national park that covers nearly two-thirds of the island, thriving coral reefs and friendly locals. Travel to St. John for a taste of the good life and look at the epitome of Caribbean beauty and let our St. John travel guide lead the way. Often, visitors to the Caribbean stay within the boundaries of their resorts. In the USVI, it’s easy to get around, explore, and soak up some local ambiance.

Good morning @WilliamParks.

It’s a long time since I visited St John, the smallest of the 3 U.S. Virgin Islands.

We were spending a fortnight in a beach villa on Tortola and joined a day cruise with beach BBQ and sunset return.

During my time in both the Royal Navy and more recently as a cruise ship passenger I too have visited many of the islands in the Caribbean.

Of course the Caribbean is a pretty diverse place and I stumbled on this website which

https://www.travelrepublic.co.uk/blog/26-countries-of-the-caribbean

…which represents a good guide to the 26 Caribbean countries.

Last Edited by Solent_Richard at 14 Jun 08:23

In some aspects these islands are unique from one another. For instance in st john once visitors arrive, they’ll find gorgeous, sun-baked beaches, a massive national park that covers nearly two-thirds of the island, thriving coral reefs and friendly locals. Travel to St. John for a taste of the good life and look at the epitome of Caribbean beauty and let our St. John travel guide lead the way. Often, visitors to the Caribbean stay within the boundaries of their resorts. In the USVI, it’s easy to get around, explore, and soak up some local ambiance.

Malaysia

I’ve been lucky enough to visit 30 Caribbean islands, some of them 2 or 3 times and I’ve always found them to have their own unique ‘difference’.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

I love the Caribbean and on every island that we have visited we have usually found something unique to them. Harrisons Caves in Barbados, Maho beach and the planes in St. Maarten, Nelsons Dockyard in Antigua, Observatory and oldest rum distillery in Tortola, Pitons and volcano in St. Lucia even Hell in Grand Cayman to name a few. Looking forward to Aruba, Curcacao and St.Kitts this year to add to the list.

Wigan

An old friend worked on Granada for a year, and spoke of huge differences between the islands.

And the commentators on TMS, when not talking about cricket, make insightful comments about the differences – they are on each island for several days and generally spend time wandering around or climbing the odd mountain.

Maybe it just takes time to see beneath the skin of each island – much more time than most cruises allow.

Above I mentioned Freeport, Grand Bahama and I just noticed that Carnival have a new shore excursion called MY BAHAMIAN HOUSE: A SELECT RETREAT!

It says "Relax in a luxurious private getaway at an exclusive Bahamian-style house complete with all amenities including a chef, bartender and friendly host. Live the Caribbean dream and join a small, select group for a relaxing day of sun, unique cuisine and cocktails away from the crowds.
Relax in your new home on your visit to Freeport, with private access to the Grand Bahama Waterway where you can dive into the warm water from the deck, kayak past exclusive villas, snorkel or paddleboard around one of the most beautiful and luxurious areas in Freeport. For beach lovers, this private home also has access to a beautiful cove, surrounded by Caribbean pine trees where you can soak in the exotic scenery and swim in the warm Caribbean waters.

Accompany our local island chef who will prepare a traditional Bahamian feast for you. Learn about the local flavors and spices used to create authentic Bahamian dishes.

If you are an avid cook, join the chef in the kitchen to discover secret recipes and practice culinary techniques. Choose where to enjoy your meal –alfresco style in the canal garden or take shade. Thirsty? A bartender will be available all day to mix up a variety of cocktails including fresh Bahama Mamas.

Discover what it’s like to live a luxurious life on the beach in beautiful Bahama."

To read the reviews of the cruisers who’ve already been CLICK HERE#

Something a little different if you’re on a Carnival Cruise on that route.

Essex UK
Like all comments. I think this tells you more about the person making it than the islands themselves.

Great observation

Last Edited by unknown at 02 Feb 13:21
Essex UK

Like all comments. I think this tells you more about the person making it than the islands themselves.

ESW
Lincolnshire
I wish I were there now I can tell you.CG

Me too.

London

I love the Caribbean Islands , once were diverted to Bonaire instead of Curacao, what a lovely little island that turned out to be, also Margarita in Venezuela, it is fairly new on the cruise calendar, but a lovely experience,
Antigua and Nelson’s dockyard and also Tortola Road town and St kitts with her Pitons I wish I were there now I can tell you.CG

Last Edited by unknown at 02 Feb 12:08
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message