Welcome to our forums.

One Way to do Wadi Rum, Jordan

Oh, the food…

Of course, there was more than we could handle despite it being excellent. Loved it all…

especially the tabouleh…

I wasn’t the only man holding a camera out there in that desert. We came across this Russian guy who was absolutely all alone and just waiting to capture the sunset at his chosen position…

While my wife did eventually come to get close to a camel…

…who seemed to enjoy our picnic pitta bread leftovers.

We were now in the care of Saleh’s brother Attiq who served us an excellent desert picnic lunch before taking us to the second of the Lawrence of Arabia landmarks, the famous house in the Wadi…

…before introducing us to sand boarding, something we never expected…

Still more stunning scenery as we headed towards Saleh’s own desert Bedouin camp…

…yes, that’s me up there…

From where we watched the spectacular desert sunset…

…before enjoying a very good Bedouin style dinner and our eventual taxi ride back to Aqaba.

This really was an adventure and Saleh and his family were outstanding in their friendliness and hospitality.

Shokran Saleh

شكرا(جزيلا

On a recent cruise around the Red Sea our itinerary took us for a two day visit to Aqaba. The port is normally synonymous with visits to Petra but have visited Petra on a previous occasion we wanted to try something a little different.

With a little homework via the internet my wife and I settled on a full day visit to Wadi Rum. Made famous by the film ‘Lawrence of Arabia’, Wadi Rum is now one of Jordan’s important tourist destinations, and attracts an increasing number of foreign tourists in search of an exciting and unusual eco-adventure.

We chose as our host and guide Saleh, a Bedouin resident Wadi Rum and, as it turned out, a fantastic host…

http://www.wadirumtours.com/

Saleh arranged a taxi transfer from Aqaba to….

…and was waiting at the Wadi Rum visitor centre to greet us…

Following some Bedouin hospitality – they drink very good tea – and a quick lesson in tying and wearing the Keffiyeh,…

we were on our way.

Not far from Rum Village we were taken to ’Lawrence Spring, a steep climb of some 35 minutes but well worth the view over Rum Village…

Next came the difficult bit. Part of Saleh’s tour includes a camel ride into the Wadi. My wife was not over keen and negotiated an easier mode of transport with Saleh…

while yours truly quickly passed the test…

…and was soon on his way…

(Eat your heart out Peter O’toole)

Wadi rum is just an amazing place and seems to just go on and on…

…outstanding scenery and rock formations at every turn…

to be continued…

3 Posts
Sign in to add your message