Welcome to our forums.

Is the coronavirus affecting your travel plans?

Thanks Fossil! I will use these sites for follow up – but it seems that Easyjet and Ryanair are currently dealing with flights in March – my bookings are in April. Any further info from you or others will be appreciated.

I have three flight bookings which are now cancelled due to coronavirus. TUI have responded with an offer to refund my payment if I do not reschedule my flight. However, Easyjet and Ryanair are only offering to reschedule with no mention of refund. What are their obligations? Any suggestions???

coolonespa wrote:

coolonespa
07:58 18-Mar-20

The latest news from the FCO pretty much puts an end to any leisure travel in the short term:

“As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice.”

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus

I’ve got friends who returned from Vietnam to UK yesterday, and don’t know what their position is at the moment. Also some
other local friends went to Alderney, via UK, for a funeral a couple of weeks ago, but it is not being held until this Saturday, so
they also are in limbo. Spain had now closed all it’s borders.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

The latest news from the FCO pretty much puts an end to any leisure travel in the short term:

“As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice.”

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus

So I like @LostinAmerica ‘s idea that now is the time to do the research for your next trip after all this settles down

This is a great time to do some travel research and discover the next great adventure.

Please let us know where you’ll be looking into for your next trip.

Essex UK

Typically a great time to invest when the market is low, but it seems it may have further to fall. I invested (not in cruise shares) on Friday but it seems I may have jumped in too early. Only the long term will reveal the wisdom of investing now.

Essex UK

I think all of the main cruise companies have now ceased operation. All have pulled out of the Far East. All the CMV ships are going to by laid up in Tilbury Docks along with Saga Sapphire and one of the Viking Ships. Boudicca has sailed directly from Palma, Majorca for Dover and Braemar is still moored off the Bahamas whist it’s fate is decided. All Fred cruises cancelled to 23rd May. RCI, Celebrity,Princess, TUI, Viking, Saga, MSC etc. are in the process of laying up ships. The list is endless. Cruise line shares have plummeted. RCI have now dropped from $132 down to $27 and Carnival from £52 to £10 a share. Is now the time to buy or will they go lower!!

London

Thanks @sallyD

The talk yesterday of over 70s being encouraged into a 4 month isolation indicates that this is not a short term issue.

Essex UK

Morning Silver Travellers – Here is my offer from Fred Olsen – just to clarify. Sorry if I didn’t make it clear

Transfer your booking to any other cruise on sale. Additionally, we will offer you a voucher worth 25% of this booking which you can spend on any future cruise (or use it to increase the value of the cruise to which you are transferring).

It is a sobering thought but as events unfold on an hourly basis, our thoughts of how to proceed are changing as well. Initially, on Friday we had our heads in the brochure, all guns blazing. Now, not so sure, there seem to be more important considerations -

@sallyD wrote:

I feel it has all been handled exceptionally well

Well done Fred Olsen

sallyD wrote:

with a voucher to the value of 25% of total original cost

Just to clarify Sally, do you mean 125% of the original cost i.e. the cost you paid plus a further 25% of that cost. So if you paid £1,000 for the cruise they are offering you a voucher of £1,250?

Essex UK
Sign in to add your message