Welcome to our forums.

Is the coronavirus affecting your travel plans?

Even if I could, I wouldn’t just yet. I think, in due course, Covid will gradually dissipate, although
probably never be eradicated, but I will wait until the risks are minimal.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Won’t affect us as the UK is not on the ‘Welcome’ list.

London

It seems counterintuitive to me that on the day the World Health Organization says 106,000 new cases were reported around the globe in the latest 24-hour period – the highest daily increase during the pandemic so far….. I’m reading that Greece will open its tourist season in less than a month and EasyJey is to resume some flights in June

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52751791

Different parts of the world, baby steps, I know but……….

Essex UK

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

You confused me with that first line

@northernblue wrote:

These statistics are only meaningful if compared against a relevant baseline.

Quite right & Alan’s Mark Twain comment sums it up for me. It does give a flavour at what people may be thinking though.

The one that surprised me a bit was that 53% felt they were losing time at this stage of their life. Assuming the respondents are all interested in travel (they answered the survey on a travel site) I would have expected the percentage to be much higher. I’ve been quite philosophical about the need to lockdown and reasonably productive in one way or another, but definitely feel a sense of lost opportunity.

Essex UK

These statistics are only meaningful if compared against a relevant baseline. Of the 55% who are not planning a cruise, what proportion would have been doing so had not the current situation arisen? Not me and, I suspect, a significant majority of the population, so I am surprised that the level of interest in cruises is actually so high.

Ah statistics, what was it Mark Twain said “There’s Lies, Dammed Lies and Statistics”

Statistics can be interpreted in many ways and in the main are dependent on the way a question is phrased and the section of society taking part.

Other key findings were:
55% are not planning to book a cruise
17% are not planning to book a flight
30% have never taken a cruise and don’t plan to.
21% plan to book a cruise when things return to normal.
Not a good outlook.

The survey on the ‘Peston Show’ gave 40% of those participating not booking an overseas holiday of any type until a vaccine is found. I am one of those as to be able to social distance on a plane or cruise ship would make the product unsustainable so I can’t see it happening.
This is disastrous for the travel industry and it will be interesting to see who survives. Will be ever get back to normal or is there going to be a new normal.

London

coolonespa wrote:

coolonespa
09:10 10-May-20

Below is a link to the results of a Silvertraveladvisor survey completed by over 800 older travellers between 15-30
April 2020 about how Coronavirus has affected their holiday plans and future travel intentions.

You confused me with that first line, Steve – “800 older travellers between 15-30”. I read it twice before going
on to the next line. Doh!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Below is a link to the results of a Silvertraveladvisor survey completed by over 800 older travellers between 15-30 April 2020 about how Coronavirus has affected their holiday plans and future travel intentions.

Key findings include:

52% have not been affected at all by the economic implications of Covid-19 and another 30% are cautious but not feeling the pinch
Only 4% say that they have been hard hit economically
55% expect that travel will return to a version of ‘normal’ in 2021
81% are keen to travel again, of which 36% don’t see any change at all in their plans

https://en.calameo.com/read/004427423429658c1ad8f

Essex UK

Some interesting thoughts from Moneysavingsexpert this morning about cancelling your travel insurance and obtaining a refund if you absolutely don’t need it. Read the full article here, which includes the companies they have found offering refunds.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/04/major-travel-insurers-offering-refunds-to-customers-who-won-t-tr/

Think about it carefully though. I have a holiday which I booked prior to 18th March 2020, so as long as I keep my insurance cover continuous i.e. renew my annual policy with the same company, I am covered for Coronavirus.

Also consider Alan’s post where he tried to get travel insurance ( @fossil I couldn’t find that post, please could you add a link here).

Essex UK

Not uncommonly, RyanAir in the news again for all the wrong reasons and MoneySavingsExpert have reported them to the CAA

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52370158

Essex UK
Sign in to add your message