The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Is the coronavirus affecting your travel plans?

No I can’t fathom it out either.

Essex UK

What I don’t understand is the way the FCO work out the countries they advise against travel to. Example Italy is on the ‘ok to travel’ list yet covid cases are on the rise and have been for a couple of weeks. Yesterday 642 new cases yet Bulgaria that has declining cases, yesterday 151 cases is on the do not travel list.

London

LostInAmerica wrote:

LostInAmerica
17:38 17-Aug-20

Not just travel plans. Work,family and day-to-day routines are all affected. How long before “normal” returns? I don’t particularly like the idea of a “new normal”, however it does appear that it will be with us for quite some time.

Totallly agree with you @LostinAmerica – and I think it will be a lot worse before it (if!) gets better. (And I’m
an optimist by nature – my glass is always half full and I’m confident it will always be replenished!).

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Not just travel plans. Work,family and day-to-day routines are all affected. How long before “normal” returns? I don’t particularly like the idea of a “new normal”, however it does appear that it will be with us for quite some time.

Indiana, USA

We live in hope that this is a big enough issue and sufficient resources are focussed on it to get something out quicker but your point is well made.

Essex UK

Fossil wrote:

Hi @Susie14 Couldn’t agree more, there are some fabulous cruise bargains about but as you rightly say, health comes first. It’s many years since I was on dry land this long. Wish I could go to sleep and wake up in 2021 when hopefully a vaccine will be available and we can get back to cruising.

I, for one, would not pin my hopes on a vaccine any time soon. They take years to develop, test, improve, test,
perfect, test, etc. etc. To date, the quickest that a vaccine was ever produced was the Mumps one, and that
took 4 years. Ebola ‘surfaced’ in 1976 and they haven’t got one for that. The AIDS virus took 20 years. The
annual flu vaccines are ‘hit and miss’ (which the scientists themselves say, albeit in different terminology) as they
have to more or less guess which strain will be prevalent for the forthcoming season, and despite millions having
that vaccine annually, between 450,000 and 650,000 people die from seasonal flu every year, world-wide.
Also, I would be worried about the extra ‘components’ that are added to vaccines these days.

Hi @Susie14 Couldn’t agree more, there are some fabulous cruise bargains about but as you rightly say, health comes first. It’s many years since I was on dry land this long. Wish I could go to sleep and wake up in 2021 when hopefully a vaccine will be available and we can get back to cruising.

London

It’s such a dilemma whether to travel or not at the moment but I think overall your health has to come first.

It’s frustrating to see so many great cruise bargains around at the moment but no use to anyone if you’re struck down with the virus.

With the great weather we’ve been having, I’m quite happy to holiday in the UK.

Susie14

coolonespa wrote:

coolonespa
08:29 29-Jul-20

Interesting. We definitely need to deal with this 2nd spike otherwise the initial sacrifices would have been for nothing.

I certainly agree. Although the spike in cases is minimal here in comparison with the UK, it is generally believed that
the quarantine is more political than health-related. a) because of ongoing discussions regarding the ‘ownership’ of Gibraltar,
and b) the more people are up in arms about this – bearing in mind that the UK Govt gave people at least a week’s warning
about having to wear masks in shops, but this decision was instaneous – it is taking their minds off the Russian report.

Interesting. We definitely need to deal with this 2nd spike otherwise the initial sacrifices would have been for nothing.

Essex UK
129 Posts
Sign in to add your message