Welcome to our forums.

Hands-free phone ban for drivers

Its hard to see where this one will go (unless its the distraction I suspect & goes nowhere).

What about using your phone as a SatNav, or dictating notes, or composing messages. With modern smart phones you can do all that & more hands free but I don’t see any of those things impairing my concentration.

Essex UK

Another thought on this, what about Sat Nav where you are intent on listening for directions or watching a screen of directions!!

London

“An expert told the committee that taking a hands-free phone call caused “essentially the same” amount of distraction as being at the legal limit for alcohol blood level in England and Wales". And how did they work this one out!!!
What about listening to music, radio programs and talking to others in the vehicle etc.
If there aren’t enough police to investigate real crime how would they ever enforce this. As for the WPC on the bus, I bet anyone who recognises her and has an outstanding crime waiting to be investigated will be well impressed, and I bet her colleagues are impressed, not.

London

coolonespa wrote:

coolonespa
08:44 14-Aug-19

Quite a bit of debate on this one in the media yesterday but what do you think?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49320473

My perspective is that this group of MPs need to get serious about the “top” problems this country faces and direct their energy there. No clear if this is a fluff piece designed to distract people from the real issues of the day or just a lack of perspective by these MPs.

I can only speak from personal experience but I have used hands free devices in cars for years and having a conversation over the phone is no more or less distracting than having a conversation with someone in the car. Its certainly much less distracting than having crying children in the back or those I have seem fumbling in a pack of cigarettes, grouping for the cigarette lighter, then looking at the road through a huge cloud of smoke as they light up.

I also pity the poor police. Even the thought of introducing a law that is practically unenforceable (how can a policeman tell if I’m talking to the phone or the other person in the car).

One of the strong advocates of this yesterday on Jeremy Vine was a cyclist, who had never driven & admitted to cycling with headphones on (thus deafening him to any warning sounds in his environment).

But that’s just what I think….what about you?

Agree with you 100% Steve, @coolonespa – you’ll have to get permission to breathe from the Nanny Police at this rate!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Quite a bit of debate on this one in the media yesterday but what do you think?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49320473

My perspective is that this group of MPs need to get serious about the “top” problems this country faces and direct their energy there. No clear if this is a fluff piece designed to distract people from the real issues of the day or just a lack of perspective by these MPs.

I can only speak from personal experience but I have used hands free devices in cars for years and having a conversation over the phone is no more or less distracting than having a conversation with someone in the car. Its certainly much less distracting than having crying children in the back or those I have seem fumbling in a pack of cigarettes, grouping for the cigarette lighter, then looking at the road through a huge cloud of smoke as they light up.

I also pity the poor police. Even the thought of introducing a law that is practically unenforceable (how can a policeman tell if I’m talking to the phone or the other person in the car).

One of the strong advocates of this yesterday on Jeremy Vine was a cyclist, who had never driven & admitted to cycling with headphones on (thus deafening him to any warning sounds in his environment).

But that’s just what I think….what about you?

Essex UK
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message