Welcome to our forums.

Rochester Cathedral's crazy golf course divides opinion

coolonespa wrote:

I’m sure the main thrust is to prove that the Cathedral is an interesting place to go and that they will return with a view to doing something other than play golf.

Sorry Steve @coolonespa but surely your having a laugh.

London

Hardyplant wrote:

Hardyplant
10:15 23-Aug-19

Yes, I’m sure it’s about just getting people into the cathedral and this certainly seems to have worked. Let’s face it I only go into churches and cathedrals to see the beautiful buildings and learn about their history.

I agree with you there, @Hardyplant – wherever I go in the world I head straight for a ‘place of worship’, of whatever denomination, for exactly the qualities you mention.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Yes, I’m sure it’s about just getting people into the cathedral and this certainly seems to have worked. Let’s face it I only go into churches and cathedrals to see the beautiful buildings and learn about their history.

@Hardyplant wrote:

We actually saw the crazy golf in action

Thanks for your first hand account. I guess the donation side is not the primary driver here but to get people into the Cathedral. I’m sure the main thrust is to prove that the Cathedral is an interesting place to go and that they will return with a view to doing something other than play golf.

Essex UK

We actually saw the crazy golf in action when going to the crypt to see the small museum and meet friends to go to Restoration House and I must say I’ve never seen so many people in the cathedral. The good thing about Rochester, unlike Canterbury where I live, is that it is free to enter so They were suggesting donations of £2.50 (I think) to play the crazy golf and I wonder how many people actually did donate. If not, let’s hope they bought something in the cafe.

Sorry, not my cup of yea. Churches in my humble opinion are places of worship and beauty not theme parks.

London

The bit that caught my eye was that “The slide enables people to see the roof, which cannot be seen clearly from the floor of the nave”. I’d give it a go just for that.

Essex UK

JoCarroll wrote:

JoCarroll
10:05 10-Aug-19

I think this slide looks wonderful – with the colours echoed in the stained glass window behind it. But I know there are clergy who have frowned on it.

You can never please everyone, @JoCarroll . I’m a utilitarianist – ‘is it for the greatest good of the greatest number’.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

I think this slide looks wonderful – with the colours echoed in the stained glass window behind it. But I know there are clergy who have frowned on it.

Seems like the idea is catching on. Norwich now have a halter skelter inside

Read more at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-49292493

Essex UK
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message