Welcome to our forums.

Boats, Boats and more Boats

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

To simplfy things, if it’s huge, call it a ship!

Nice one Gill, now we all know……. …….

Bedford

To simplfy things, if it’s huge, call it a ship!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Interesting thought. I can see that largely works with modern ships vs. boats but would that still work with older ships like the Balclutha above. Did ships of this age large enter over the hull? Not sure but will pay close attention next time I see one.

Essex UK

Just to add to the ships/boats question, I’ve always thought that you get into a ship (through a door in the hull) but you get onto a boat from the top (over the topside of the hull).

Bedford

Not always easy to get the definition correct. The national parks classify this one as a boat but it does carry boats, so does its size define it as a ship?

Essex UK

Thank you @Fossil. Now i know why coolonespa’s pictures are on the wrong thread!

ESW
Lincolnshire

@ESW there are several acknowledged differences the main one being size. You can put a boat on a ship but not a ship on a boat. A ship is usually a sea going vessel where as boats are mainly for inland waterways. In the old days it was something with 3 or more masts. A ‘Liner’ is a ship of the line that sails a specific regular route across oceans. The only liner left in the world is the Queen Mary 2 that has regular schedules Southampton – New York and back.

London

For us landlubbers what is the difference between boat and ship?

ESW
Lincolnshire

Oh I see, what a dummy, I put these on the wrong thread. I was certain I’d put them on the ships thread. Must take more water with it

Essex UK

Can they sail an ocean? Yes

London
Sign in to add your message