Welcome to our forums.

Boats, Boats and more Boats

Thank you @Fossil. Now i know why coolonespa’s pictures are on the wrong thread!

ESW
Lincolnshire

@ESW there are several acknowledged differences the main one being size. You can put a boat on a ship but not a ship on a boat. A ship is usually a sea going vessel where as boats are mainly for inland waterways. In the old days it was something with 3 or more masts. A ‘Liner’ is a ship of the line that sails a specific regular route across oceans. The only liner left in the world is the Queen Mary 2 that has regular schedules Southampton – New York and back.

London

For us landlubbers what is the difference between boat and ship?

ESW
Lincolnshire

Oh I see, what a dummy, I put these on the wrong thread. I was certain I’d put them on the ships thread. Must take more water with it

Essex UK

Can they sail an ocean? Yes

London

Fossil wrote:

Are these ships or boats

Ah that old chestnut

Is it big enough to carry a boat….Yes
Does it have 3 masts….Yes

So by the definition some use, yes they are. Royal carribbean won’t be snapping either of them up for there fleet though

Essex UK

Are these ships or boats

London

See what you mean, Steve – not impressive at all!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

bet it looks magnificent in full sail, Steve.

Possibly not as great as you’d think Gill. The middle sails are a bit square so not as attractive as some, perhaps the age of the picture doesn’t do it justice:

https://www.nps.gov/npgallery/GetAsset/FF7CDA33-155D-4519-3EE2713DD533B332/proxy/hires?

The ship behind it was difficult to photograph because of its position but is from 1886 the Balclutha, also sailed as the Star of Alaska or Pacific Queen

I bet that was magnificent in full sail. This is an idea of what it might have looked like:

Essex UK

coolonespa wrote:

coolonespa
07:33 03-Sep-19

CA Thayer, a wooden-hulled schooner built in 1895 in Northern California

What a beauty – bet it looks magnificent in full sail, Steve.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain
Sign in to add your message