Welcome to our forums.

Boats, Boats and more Boats

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

you should see the ones in the Philippines!

ESW wrote:

It’s got style though…

Agreed, I was a bit disappointed we didn’t get to ride on her. The new ones are characterless

Essex UK

It’s got style though…

ESW
Lincolnshire

coolonespa wrote:

coolonespa
08:30 19-Sep-19

I presume that escape was used as a ferry to Alcatraz but they seem to use much more modern ferries now. Not clear if it was still in service and/or used as a contingency:

If you think that looks less than modern, Steve, you should see the ones in the Philippines!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

I presume that escape was used as a ferry to Alcatraz but they seem to use much more modern ferries now. Not clear if it was still in service and/or used as a contingency:

Essex UK

Spotted an interesting one crossing San Fransisco Bay. This is the USS Potomac but nicknamed the “Floating White House” because in 1936 it became Roosevelt’s Presidential Yacht until his death in 1945.

Read more of its history at: https://www.usspotomac.org/history/

Essex UK

Interestingly submarines have traditionally been classed as boats, even though some are massive nowadays. Found this one in San Fransisco. USS Pampanito a WWII fleet sub

Essex UK

@Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

To simplfy things, if it’s huge, call it a ship!
Essex UK

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

Nice one Gill, now we all know……. …….

Bedford

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Interesting thought. I can see that largely works with modern ships vs. boats but would that still work with older ships like the Balclutha above. Did ships of this age large enter over the hull? Not sure but will pay close attention next time I see one.

Essex UK
586 Posts
Sign in to add your message