Welcome to our forums.

Teachers' favourite 100 books

@iwent wrote:

I wonder whether we should start a list of Silver Travel Advisors’ 100 Favourite Books ?

Great idea

Essex UK

Fossil wrote:

The Da Vinci Code

I hope you won’t mind if I copy this onto the Silver Travel Advisors’ Favourite 100 Books thread

Ok, here we go. Travel, mystery and intrigue, sold 80 million copies and translated into 44 languages.

The Da Vinci Code.

London

Thanks for your endorsement @Fossil

Fossil wrote:

books being travel related

I’ve set it up initially under the topic “It’s not all about travel”, but we can presumably change the topic area. How about 50 travel related and 50 not? Let’s see what response the idea gets.]

Do you want to start the ball rolling?

Excellent idea @iwent
As you may know Silver Travel was set up in 2011 as a ‘Travel Advice’ company for the ‘Mature Traveller’ which was interpreted as being those over 50 years of age. It was unique as no other entity offered this type of advice to this sector of the market. The forum was formed soon after so that members had a place to come and talk about travel, hence my reason to mention books being travel related.

Lets give it a go and see where it takes us. Over to you.

London

Fossil wrote:

This was in 2013!!

You’re right @Fossil, this list was posted in 2013.
But I suspect the list would be similar these years later. (Does anyone want to check? There might be a David Walliams, for example.)

I think it would be similar because teachers have their own priorities for “favourite books”, which I don’t think change very much over time such a short time. Whereas (on the Jane Eyre, December 2019 Book Club Book thread) we’re fairly much agreeing our priorities are not all the same as theirs.

I wonder whether we should start a list of Silver Travel Advisors’ 100 Favourite Books ? We might have to develop the rules as we go along.
Should we limit ourselves to books on travel? or perhaps to books set in a specific location? Maybe just keep it to “books”?

My first suggestion would be that a book should be nominated by at least three members before it goes on the list. And then at some point we have a vote to decide the order. Any takers?

@coolonespa wrote:

1. Pride and Prejudice: Jane Austen
2. To Kill a Mockingbird: Harper Lee
3. Harry Potter series: JK Rowling
4. Wuthering Heights: Emily Bronte
5. Jane Eyre: Charlotte Bronte
6. Nineteen Eighty-Four: George Orwell
7. The Lord of the Rings series: JRR Tolkien
8. The Book Thief: Markus Zusak
9. The Hobbit: JRR Tolkien
10. The Great Gatsby: F Scott Fitzgerald
11.. The Kite Runner: Khaled Hosseini
12. The Hunger Games series: Suzanne Collins
13. The Time Traveler’s Wife: Audrey Niffenegger
14. The Chronicles of Narnia series CS Lewis
15. Of Mice and Men: John Steinbeck
16. Birdsong: Sebastian Faulks
17. His Dark Materials series: Philip Pullman
18. The Gruffalo: Julia Donaldson+ Axel Scheffler
19. The Catcher in the Rye: JD Salinger
20. Life of Pi: Yann Marte

This was in 2013!!

London

Have read 17 on the list, and enjoyed them all, except The Catcher in the Rye which I think is very over-rated and quite tedious
(and yes, I do ‘get it’).

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Little Women would be on my list – have loved it since a child and still do. Can’t wait for the new film version

Definitely an interesting list…. There are some of my favourites but many I’ve never heard of. I was rather surprised by the inclusion of The Gruffalo

ESW
Lincolnshire
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message