Welcome to our forums.

Cruise Insurance

Very informative, thanks, Alan.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Albatrail wrote:

if they stay with the same insurance company, it would still be covered.

As I understood the situation @Albatrail they would be covered as it is a continuous insurance, it is only those who try to take out new policies.

London

Fossil wrote:

I then contacted my current insurance company and was told that if I renewed my policy I would be covered once the cruise restriction had been lifted

I’m hoping that this part would apply @Albatrail but I’ve just been reading that the situation is a rapidly changing one, with insurers position under constant revision. I will be checking the situation with my insurer at the point of renewal (although that’s a couple of months off yet).

Essex UK

I wonder where this leaves people who already have a cruise booked in a few months time under their annual cover- but it’s due for renewal within the next few weeks? I hope that, if they stay with the same insurance company, it would still be covered. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has encountered this.

Scotland

An extremely important piece of information Alan, thanks for posting.

Essex UK

Friday morning I received the renewal for my travel insurance and, as always, decided to get some other quotes. The first company said they were currently unable to issue NEW polices to those over 70 years of age covering cruise as the government has said that those over 70 should not cruise at present, therefore ‘Against Government Guidelines’.
I then did an online quote and received a figure. In view of what the previous company had told me I telephoned the company and asked about the cruise cover and was told there had been a computer ‘Glitch’ and the quote should not have been sent as those 70 and over had been told by the government not to cruise currently and therefore they could not at this time issue a policy covering cruise.
I then contacted my current insurance company and was told that if I renewed my policy I would be covered once the cruise restriction had been lifted and whilst they could renew current policies with the cruise element included they were not able to issue “New Policies” to those 70 years and over requiring cruise cover.
To me it means that I should not be booking any future cruises until the crisis is over and the government have said it is ok for us over 70’s to cruise again. If I do and then have to cancel before the restriction is lifted it looks like I would not be covered by insurance.

London
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message