Welcome to our forums.

Norway to build 'world's first ship tunnel'

10 Posts

PSmithy wrote:

However, the North sea could be rough in bad weather

Don’t worry about it. Any sea can be rough and the North Sea is no worse than others. Try the Bay of Biscay or North Atlantic in winter, that’s rough. Have a fabulous holiday and enjoy the scenery, something you wouldn’t get with a tunnel.

London

@PSmithy wrote:

Me and my wife are just about to embark on a cruise of the Norwegian fjords later this week

Enjoy your cruise. Which ship are you sailing on?

Scotland

Me and my wife are just about to embark on a cruise of the Norwegian fjords later this week. I can’t wait as this is supposed to be a beautiful trip with lots of wonderful sights. However, the North sea could be rough in bad weather so I wouldn’t enjoy that much and if such tunnels are effective and large enough for cruise ships, why not build the first one and any others that may be necessary for safer shipping around Norway.

@Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

Don’t think I would fancy that, but each to his own.

After sailing the Stad in bad weather, I’d be happy to go through the tunnel.

Scotland

Albatrail wrote:

Albatrail
08:48 13-Aug-19

In October 2018, the Stad Tunnel was not included in proposed Norwegian funding and there was speculation that the project was cancelled. Costs were reported to have increased. (News in English) It’s difficult to see who is for/against using it.

In June 2019 NRK reports that they hope to start in 2021 and the tunnel open in 2025. (in Norwegian)

Don’t think I would fancy that, but each to his own.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

In October 2018, the Stad Tunnel was not included in proposed Norwegian funding and there was speculation that the project was cancelled. Costs were reported to have increased. (News in English) It’s difficult to see who is for/against using it.

In June 2019 NRK reports that they hope to start in 2021 and the tunnel open in 2025. (in Norwegian)

Scotland

Having experienced some very rough trips round Stad, this can’t come too soon!

ESW
Lincolnshire

Fossil wrote:

This was discussed years ago and eventually shelved.

It was discussed again around 2007. I first saw promotional literature onboard a Hurtigruten ship in 2008 and have been following the project talks since. Great to see it being built, particularly with more frequent storms? I thought I’d seen some photos from some ground preparation work but can’t find them again- perhaps it was a dream

Scotland

This was discussed years ago and eventually shelved.

London

Norway is taking radical steps to try make a hazardous stretch of coastline safer, by building a tunnel big enough for ships. See video at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39521570

Essex UK
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message