Welcome to our forums.

The Future of Cruising

Good morning Richard @Solent_Richard
Dealing firstly with the photograph. I didn’t do a review so no need to publish. It was on a cruise I paid for and I don’t write about every cruise I go on.
Secondly all my cruises as a journalist are ‘Commissioned’ as are Steves and other journalists therefore they are always paid for by someone. Don’t understand how you could think otherwise!!

Solent_Richard wrote:

Not exactly unexpected.

I shall look forward to comparing our upcoming Princess reviews next month.

I also look forward to comparing those of yourself and Cruzeroqueen1 assuming that is whom you are referring to. Trust it is on the same ship at the same time so that the views on the same can be compared and not separate ships and itineraries.

London

Fossil wrote:

The above picture @Solent_Richard has been aired on several occasions by you along with the plate of kippers. However your blog gives some good points which need to be mentioned to balance the overall impression especially as this was over 4 years ago and based on one one ship and one trip.
I have a picture of a queue on one of your favourite cruise lines, a queue for breakfast, so all I would say is, it happens everywhere but not all the time.

Good morning Fossil.

Sorry, I don’t recognise that passageway and as I’ve never had to queue for breakfast – well at least no more than two minutes while awaiting seating allocation at an open seating restaurant – in all my time cruising, I can only surmise that there were possibly extenuating circumstances: short 2/3 day cruise, first day of a cruise or even the clocks changed

So did you include the photograph and the circumstances in your review?

coolonespa wrote:

I agree with @fossil ‘s view above, so won’t bother to restate it.

From a personal perspective, and by way of illustration, the last 3 reviews I have written (1 yet to be published) pointed out some aspects of the trip that could have been done better. Perhaps an indication that I am able to write without fear or favour.

Good morning Steve.

But isn’t that exactly the point I’m making?

Unless of course you were ‘commissioned’ as a journalist and had your travel paid for.

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

Well said, @Fossil

Not exactly unexpected.

I shall look forward to comparing our upcoming Princess reviews next month.

coolonespa wrote:

From a personal perspective, and by way of illustration, the last 3 reviews I have written (1 yet to be published) pointed out some aspects of the trip that could have been done better. Perhaps an indication that I am able to write without fear or favour.

Absolutely Steve. I could do the same but in all honesty have better things to do than prove a point.

London

I agree with @fossil ‘s view above, so won’t bother to restate it.

Essex UK

The only cruising we have done is on Princess Cruise Lines; once 12 days through the Panama Canal from Puerto Rico to Costa Rica, and the second from Venice through the Greek Islands, Turkey and back to Athens. Both times were enjoyable for relaxation, enjoyable eating but mostly for going ashore to enjoy sightseeing at the destination port. Because of that we decided ultimately that Cruising in and of itself was not the kind of holiday we wanted since we can easily make our way from one city to another and plan our own excursions while there. There was not too much on board the ship to make the “at sea” day interesting so I can see the logic of Norwegian making the cruise ship a floating resort but that may take some of the peaceful magic away from sailing on to the next destination which is what we mostly enjoyed. We don’t cruise anymore – opting to bare boat charter and sail on our own instead. Although we plan to do one more cruise at some point – from Vancouver to Alaska.

Well said, @Fossil

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

@Solent_Richard Good afternoon Richard,
Payment or not, speaking personally, every review I have written has been based on the facts as I saw them which is the job of all journalists. The job of a journalist/writer is to give a balanced view based on star/brand rating of the product, price paid and the expectations placed on it by the advertising allied to it. I have, as you are fully aware, always written “without fear or favour” and indeed we have spoken of this several times over a pint. I have never been aware of any journalist who has not given an accurate review/article etc. as they have seen it even though, at times, what they write is a different experience to that of myself. If there is ‘evidence’ to contrary I would be interested in seeing it.
Some people believe that all trips taken by journalists are free which is a common misconception. These people also believe that journalists only write good things which again is an absolute nonsense.
The people who believe the above only have to ask themselves this question ‘Is a well known journalist/writer going to give a false review/article to the public and risk their professional reputation which in many cases is known worldwide?’ The answer is, No, of course they are not. Editors of national newspapers, internationally sold magazines, on line magazines etc. are not fools, they can tell when what is submitted to them is truthful, it comes from many years of experience and having done the job themselves. Journalists/writers have no fear of telling the truth as quite often the owners/operators/PR’s of the products prefer to be told the truth by professionals as they know it has come from people with experience and it affords them the opportunity to rectify the alleged faults. As I said any review/article is based on the personal experience of the writer at the time and we all have different views and expectations.

London

Fossil wrote:

The above picture @Solent_Richard has been aired on several occasions by you along with the plate of kippers. However your blog gives some good points which need to be mentioned to balance the overall impression especially as this was over 4 years ago and based on one one ship and one trip.
I have a picture of a queue on one of your favourite cruise lines, a queue for breakfast, so all I would say is, it happens everywhere but not all the time.

Good morning Fossil.

That is correct, I have aired that view on several occasions.

And because I pay for all my cruises it is the joy of being able to ‘tell it as it is’ without fear or favour.

Needless to say I have never returned to Royal Caribbean and never will.

Last Edited by Solent_Richard at 24 Jan 09:08
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message