Welcome to our forums.

The Future of Cruising

What is depressing ESW is that it is already happening. I get to review many ships each year and it is most noticeable that if you want a stress free relaxed cruise you need to book an adult only ship or one like Azamara, Seaborne, Seven Seas etc. A ’ Family Friendly’ ship as they call them can be hell in the school holidays.

London
Without having to worry about dress codes, table manners or basic behaviour on ship, you’ll find it a home away from home. With plenty of staff to keep an eye on your children, you’ll be free to get drunk in the bar, be rude to staff and generally be unpleasant.

What a depressing thought.

ESW
Lincolnshire

I think your on track fossil – the changes over the last 5 years – what next for the 3/4 star ships…
Are Butlins’ and Barry Island booked up this year? Butlin’s have certainly up their game in recent years. Have you missed out on the Skegness and Southend season? Don’t worry – you can always go on a cruise!
Without having to worry about dress codes, table manners or basic behaviour on ship, you’ll find it a home away from home. With plenty of staff to keep an eye on your children, you’ll be free to get drunk in the bar, be rude to staff and generally be unpleasant.

Last Edited by unknown at 24 Jan 11:26
Alternatively the market polarises to the two extremes – cruising for the wealthy or cut price cruising for the masses.

I think you already have that Eleanor. If you look at the 3/4 star ships their prices are all fairly close. Look at the 5/5 star plus and they are vastly more expensive and offer a different onboard experience.

Last Edited by unknown at 24 Jan 11:16
London

Alternatively the market polarises to the two extremes – cruising for the wealthy or cut price cruising for the masses.

ESW
Lincolnshire

Is that the way its going to go then. We’ll end up with pile them high, sell them cheap brands & this that will keep the price stable but maintain the standards?

Last Edited by unknown at 24 Jan 10:28
Essex UK

I also believe that standards have fallen over the years but so have prices. It wasn’t that long ago that a cruise would cost £100 a day. Now you can find them at under £40 a day so something has to give. On many ships body lotion, moisturising cream, shower gell etc have given way to the one does all dispenser in the shower. Drink prices have gone through the roof and items that used to be free like shuttle buses are now extra. I was on a ship 18 months ago when fights broke out over sunbeds a thing I have never seen before. People getting put ashore for stealing from the onboard shops. Luckily there are still cruise lines that you can have a decent cruise with and meet responsible people.

London

Even with my limited experience (compared to some) of cruising I have noticed a steady decline in the standards over the past three years.

With more cruise ships comes more competition which will result in price reductions and with that must come cutbacks, usually the first place this is made is the quality of food unfortunately.

The recent reduction in travel agents commission was another blow, after recently researching cruises and finding one that fitted in with school holidays I did the usual trawl of agents only to find in the end the best price was offered by the cruise line itself.

Now thats never happened before………

Last Edited by unknown at 24 Jan 10:17
Bedford

*The Future of Cruising *
The cruise industry is booming with more new ships scheduled to launch this year. This commitment by the worldwide cruise industry is reflecting a change in economies to fill these larger ships as they come into service. In my opinion this will force new marketing and pricing opportunities needed to stimulate reservations in order to maximise passenger numbers and ultimately profits. Inevitably this could lead to deterioration in standards and service, thus changing cruising as we know it today.

People are discovering that the luxury of cruising is no longer only for the well heeled golden oldies, but an all round excellent holiday for all ages and social classes. This in itself is not a bad thing – but the conventions and traditions of cruising, which many find as alluring as the travelling itself, are slowly being eroded by a new set of customers more used to bargain holidays in the UK.

What do you think?

Last Edited by unknown at 24 Jan 10:08
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message