Welcome to our forums.

Single travellers

JoCarroll wrote:

JoCarroll
20:23 09-Oct-19

Gill – I don’t think daughter would let me take him yet – though how I wish she would. But I’m going back in the winter anyway – just to do a rece (as if I need an excuse to go the Ecuador).

Shame @JoCarroll but at least you’ll double your pleasure by first the planning and then the actuality!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Gill – I don’t think daughter would let me take him yet – though how I wish she would. But I’m going back in the winter anyway – just to do a rece (as if I need an excuse to go the Ecuador).

JoCarroll wrote:

oCarroll
11:31 11-Sep-19

Gill – Her eldest son was born in Venezuela – his father is Venezuelan – he’s now 12 – it’s clearly unsafe for him to return to Venezuela at the moment, but I’ve offered to help him explore his South American roots (can’t see him turning it down – he asked me for a globe for his birthday!). Though if he waits till he’s left university he might need a hoist to get me in and out of the canoes on the Amazon

I must have missed this response, @JoCarroll – what a wonderful adventure that would be for both
of you – go as soon as possible, tomorrow is not promised!

Gill – Her eldest son was born in Venezuela – his father is Venezuelan – he’s now 12 – it’s clearly unsafe for him to return to Venezuela at the moment, but I’ve offered to help him explore his South American roots (can’t see him turning it down – he asked me for a globe for his birthday!). Though if he waits till he’s left university he might need a hoist to get me in and out of the canoes on the Amazon!

JoCarroll wrote:

JoCarroll
17:53 10-Sep-19

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

it seems your daughter has also inherited your adventurous spirit, which is wonderful!

Indeed she has – though she’s now in the UK with 3 children, but I have no doubt she’ll pick up her rucksack again as soon as they are fledged!

And hopefully she’ll pass on the ‘wanderlust’ to them all, which will do more for their education than simple book learning (not that I’m disparaging that, of course!).

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

it seems your daughter has also inherited your adventurous spirit,
which is wonderful!

Indeed she has – though she’s now in the UK with 3 children, but I have no doubt she’ll pick up her rucksack again as soon as they are fledged!

JoCarroll wrote:

JoCarroll
11:17 10-Sep-19

It was certainly an interesting night, Gill – I was meant to be heading down the Orinoco later the next day, a trip organised by my daughter (she was teaching in Caracas at the time) and so I had to ring her to tell her where I was in the hope a guide could find me – it is, now, one of the family funny stories but even then Venezuela wasn’t hugely safe and she was horrified!

But you lived to tell the tale, @JoCarroll – and it seems your daughter has also inherited your adventurous spirit,
which is wonderful!

It was certainly an interesting night, Gill – I was meant to be heading down the Orinoco later the next day, a trip organised by my daughter (she was teaching in Caracas at the time) and so I had to ring her to tell her where I was in the hope a guide could find me – it is, now, one of the family funny stories but even then Venezuela wasn’t hugely safe and she was horrified!

JoCarroll wrote:

oCarroll
11:07 09-Sep-19

@Take100lines – I really hope the Romanian experience doesn’t put you off doing it all yourself. It’s all part of the adventure. I love travelling alone, even when it goes a bit wrong. I’ve learned (the hard way) to always have a Plan B, so it something doesn’t work out I’m not stuck in (for instance) a bus station wondering what I’m going to do.

(The hard way … missing a bus connection in Venezuela, so being stuck overnight in a town with nowhere to stay except a room in the brothel …)

Well, at least you supplemented your spending money, @JoCarroll ! (JOKE!!!).

@Take100lines – I really hope the Romanian experience doesn’t put you off doing it all yourself. It’s all part of the adventure. I love travelling alone, even when it goes a bit wrong. I’ve learned (the hard way) to always have a Plan B, so it something doesn’t work out I’m not stuck in (for instance) a bus station wondering what I’m going to do.

(The hard way … missing a bus connection in Venezuela, so being stuck overnight in a town with nowhere to stay except a room in the brothel …)

Sign in to add your message