Welcome to our forums.

Single travellers

It’s all quiet at the moment, thankfully – and both sides are talking, so I’m optimistic.

So now I can’t wait till January!!

JoCarroll wrote:

so I have everything crossed.

Me also Jo. Keep safe on the trip

London

@JoCarroll wrote:

so I have everything crossed.

Me too

Essex UK

I saw that, too, Steve – so I have everything crossed. I don’t go till January so hopefully everyone will be friends again by then.

@JoCarroll wrote:

There are riots at the moment, as the government has withdrawn fuel subsidies.

It would seem that President Lenín Moreno has backed down on the fuel subsidies, so hopefully everything will be calm by the time you get there Jo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-50038126

Essex UK

JoCarroll wrote:

JoCarroll
11:47 12-Oct-19

Alan – ah Ecuador!

It’s the easiest country to stay healthy – even easier than here in the UK. Because of the mountains, they grow potatoes etc at altitude and rice and pineapples in the valleys – and everything in between. So there is always an array of wonderful fruits an vegetables. Plus, at altitude, you only have to walk down the street for your heart to work that little bit harder, so no need to think about exercise.

Bearing that in mind: the upper Amazon, while not easy to get to, is inspiring – I saw endangered Amazon otters last time, playing in the water alongside the canoe. And I’m going into the cloud forest on this trip, for the bird life.

The mountains are spectacular – I’m not sure how high I can go these days. And one always has to be a bit careful on volcanoes.

There’s a stunningly beautiful drive down the spine of the mountains – though, with the number of earthquakes, the road can be a bit interesting in places.

Cuenca is a lovely old colonial city – and, not far away, some amazing Inca ruins. Ecuador had a complex history before the Spanish came, and the collision of indigenous and Spanish culture is fascinating. Guayaquil is edgy – it has a history of piracy but has turned itself around and has a lovely riverfront now. Banos has thermal springs and waterfall.

I shall stay in a fishing village, with the Pacific Ocean rolling in and frigate birds wheeling overhead.

The market at Otavalo is awash with South American colour – I’m not a shopper but I have no doubt I’ll buy stuff there.

And Quito is interesting – plenty of old colonial buildings.

Having said all that – I am watching the news. There are riots at the moment, as the government has withdrawn fuel subsidies. Quito has been brought to a standstill and a lot of roads are blocked. I don’t go till January, so I’m crossing my fingers it will be sorted long before then.

Oh, all that is so evocative, @JoCarroll and sounds so tempting! I’ve only been to a couple of ports whilst on
cruises, and of course that is so limiting, but I shall REALLY look forward to hearing all about your adventures on your return.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

@JoCarroll Thanks Jo, it sounds absolutely amazing, I’m envious of your upcoming trip.

London

Alan – ah Ecuador!

It’s the easiest country to stay healthy – even easier than here in the UK. Because of the mountains, they grow potatoes etc at altitude and rice and pineapples in the valleys – and everything in between. So there is always an array of wonderful fruits an vegetables. Plus, at altitude, you only have to walk down the street for your heart to work that little bit harder, so no need to think about exercise.

Bearing that in mind: the upper Amazon, while not easy to get to, is inspiring – I saw endangered Amazon otters last time, playing in the water alongside the canoe. And I’m going into the cloud forest on this trip, for the bird life.

The mountains are spectacular – I’m not sure how high I can go these days. And one always has to be a bit careful on volcanoes.

There’s a stunningly beautiful drive down the spine of the mountains – though, with the number of earthquakes, the road can be a bit interesting in places.

Cuenca is a lovely old colonial city – and, not far away, some amazing Inca ruins. Ecuador had a complex history before the Spanish came, and the collision of indigenous and Spanish culture is fascinating. Guayaquil is edgy – it has a history of piracy but has turned itself around and has a lovely riverfront now. Banos has thermal springs and waterfall.

I shall stay in a fishing village, with the Pacific Ocean rolling in and frigate birds wheeling overhead.

The market at Otavalo is awash with South American colour – I’m not a shopper but I have no doubt I’ll buy stuff there.

And Quito is interesting – plenty of old colonial buildings.

Having said all that – I am watching the news. There are riots at the moment, as the government has withdrawn fuel subsidies. Quito has been brought to a standstill and a lot of roads are blocked. I don’t go till January, so I’m crossing my fingers it will be sorted long before then.

@JoCarroll

Jo, I have never been to that part of the world and probably getting too old to get there now but what do you find so appealing about it compared with the many other destinations you have travelled to.
Alan

London

Gill – I’ll take any excuse to go back to Ecuador!

29 Posts
Sign in to add your message