Welcome to our forums.

The Solo Travel Handbook

Let’s See The List Of Common Travel Mistakes:
1. To have high expectations about itinerary
Better remain flexible! There could be some changes in plans due to weather or monetary reasons. There could be times when you must shift from plan A to plan B. You might not need to see a country in one single visit, there could be several trips only to accomplish your desire.

2. Blind trust in every direction shown by the locals
Instead, ask several people for directions to the same place. If the person comes with hesitation or appears confused; know that you need an additional help.

3. Overpacking
This is very common and at times annoying as well. Once you pack your luggage, make a quick review of what could be not necessary.

4. To rely completely on Guide Books
The guidebooks are to share a set of information; not to show you directions. It’s wise to communicate with other travelers and people there. Also, try exploring the place there could be many places which are not mentioned in the guidebook.

5. Not informing the bank of foreign transactions in future

This could lead to cancellation of your debit card due to unusual activity, so notify the bank ahead about your offshore travel.

Oh yes, @Endy – that amuses me!

And I travel solo (mostly) because I love it – I meet people, I do what I want to do, when I want to, and not on cruises (where fitting into groups are the norm) but off many a beaten track. And no one can tell me that I can’t do it just because I’m a woman!!

Endy wrote: (#6)

any would-be solo travellers looking for inspiration, I thought this might hit the spot! …

I’m beginning to wonder whether “the small print” is just TOO small ?

nb: @JoCarroll : I thought this photo might amuse you

Endy wrote:

I travel solo because I prefer it that way and enjoy it more.

On one cruise I travelled solo as I was writing an article on what it is like for the more mature (in age) traveller to travel alone and how they are catered for. I met some very interesting people who travelled solo for a variety of reasons and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
@Endy I would point out that in my post #07 the word ‘you’ does not refer to you personally but is used as a term to incorporate anyone.

London

Endy wrote:

Just in case anyone was unsure

I do not travel solo for lack of a partner
or for lack of a Sports Edition/AMG Mercedes, or Maserati or …

or even for lack of someone who can share my sense of humour
or read the small print

Thank you for that update.

I too have both travelled and cruised ‘solo’ but for the majority of my travels I and my wife prefer to travel together enjoying the world and our own company.

When she has other engagements, usually singing with her various choirs, and there is something I wish to do, then I’m always encouraged to go on my own: it’s definitely not a regular occurrence though.

Just in case anyone was unsure

I do not travel solo for lack of a partner
or for lack of a Sports Edition/AMG Mercedes, or Maserati or …

or even for lack of someone who can share my sense of humour
or read the small print

Yes @Endy a nice Mercedes certainly would hit the spot and it were the sports edition or AMG you probably wouldn’t be solo for long.

London

Well of course the contents of this book won’t be news for veteran travellers, solo or otherwise
But if there are any would-be solo travellers looking for inspiration, I thought this might hit the spot! …

I also had a look at it and it does not give anything that I didn’t already know. Travelling alone or as a couple or in a group, it all comes down to common sense.

London

As a solo traveller – this would be really useful for someone setting out on his or her own for the first time. Looking through those first pages, I didn’t come across something I didn’t already know, but I’ve wandered off on my own many times now.

I found the layout – all those bits and boxes – a bit confusing. But I know it’s a style to appeal to younger travellers – who are probably their target market.

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message